49ers QB Alex Smith Still Has A Long Way To Go

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SweetShot03, Dec 21, 2009.

1. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

Sadly I think Smith will be the starter next year unless Nate Davis can unseat him. There really isn't a good FA option and I don't see an early QB in our future. Also, I'm very sure Jimmy Raye will be back.

2. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Nate Davis has a cannon arm and can make all the throws, The thing with hm is you really cant expect much early in his career with an abbriviated college career in a Mid Major

3. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

if you think a new qb is gonna fix the passing game you are sadly mistaken. any knowledgeable fan will agree with me that it all starts in the trenches. no freaking qb could be sucessful behind that god forsaken line.

4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

:rolleyes: A real fan would see that our oline isn't the worse in the league.

5. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Dude, did you eat paint chips when you were younger? You think Smith is a good QB and yet you call yourself knowledgeable. That is an oxymoron.

6. MadMoxxiFavGun

if you have been paying attention you ... i said he has shown flashes that he can be good.

7. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

JaMarcus Russel has shown flashes too. What is your point?

8. MadMoxxiFavGun

interesting find just now

9. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Yes I never said the line was good. This isn't about the line, this is about Alex Smith. Again you can't present anything besides "oh the o-line, oh he shown flashes". Smith has no footwork, no ability to read a defense, no ability to consistantly take snaps from under center, ect ect ect. But go on and live in your own little world.

10. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger beg to differ.

And while Ben isn't going to the playoffs, he did win the SB last year and his line wasn't exactly solid.

11. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

I dont really think OL is that high a draft priority. You guys could use a good RT and another good interior lineman, not eh kinda spots you usually burn a first on unless there is a sick guy

I actually think it might be a good idea to trade down with one of those firsts and take Colt McCoy in the late first and pick up a few more picks. I think with Crabtree and Davis you guys are built to pick teams apart in the 10-20 yard range, where I think McCoy could thrive in the NFL

12. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Biggest problem with our offense is that since Nolan took over, we have failed miserably to establish an identity. WCO under McCarthy (2005), then he was gone to GB, along came Norv and we were a power running team in a Coryell scheme (2006). Norv then left to SD, we promoted Jim Hostler who was supposed to mix up the best from both worlds, which was, to say the least, a freaking disaster.

Around that time (after the '07 season) we had drafted/signed OLinemen every year, who did not fit into a specific identity: Baas (05 draft) was a run blocking machine at Michigan, played C and LG. Snyder (05 draft) is a good fit at G in a pass-oriented offense, but has seen a lot of action at T, where he sucks in pass protection and isn't even a good run blocker to begin with (hence why he is better in a pass oriented offense). Larry Allen was a run blocking monster in 06; one of the main reasons why our running game was so successful that year. But he was a liability against quick pass rushers.

So, again, in 2007 we were experimenting with Hostler. The power running game had worked the year before, which is why we drafted a finesse LT in Joe Staley. Wait, that didn't make any sense, did it? To top it off, we actually lined him up at RT right off the bat. Again, no sense whatsoever.

So we're trying to use our best offensive weapon (Gore) and become a mauling team. What does Nolan do? The most logical thing, of course, he hires Mike Martz!!! LOL. So under JTO and Hill, Martz has some success, but in the proccess, Nolan gets fired, which is comically ironic, since the Martz signing was clearly motivated by despair from Nolan. And who do we draft to bolster the OL in a Mike Martz pass-super-happy offense? The raw run blocker Chilo Rachal. BRILLIANT!!!

So, here comes Mike Sing. He rams heads with Martz. Martz doesn't come back the following season. We want to establish a power running game once again, to the point of stating that we were aiming to run 60% of the offensive snaps. Bear in mind, the starting OL looks like this, from L to R: Staley (finesse), Baas (power run blocker), Heitmann (finesse), Rachal (power run blocker wannabe), Snyder (just crap at the position). And our interior linemen struggle to create holes for Gore.

And then, the cherry on the cake. Half a year after committing (sp) to a power run offense, Singletary does a 180° and starts using the spread to help the bust out. Oh, the hilarity.

I guess the point I'm trying to say is... I don't want to draft a QB early next year. And why have McCoy when you have a similar player, only less heralded in Shaun Hill? I'd rather hand Nate Davis or Hill the keys next season, no questions asked.

And just in case Slimey wants to jump at the opportunity to point out how the bust hasn't had it easy... The scheme doesn't matter. If you play QB in this league you have to have certain abilities learned to the T, some of those I pointed them out in my first post of this thread: footwork, accuracy, dropback ability... and the bust has none of those. That's why I want him gone ASAP.

13. And he still does..............