Three Teams Interested In Acquiring Giants DE Osi Umenyiora?

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by BigBlueBruiser, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports via twitter that the Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Rams and Carolina Panthers could have interest in acquiring New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora. Mortensen writes that the Giants could get a second round draft pick for Umenyiora if things fall right and the Rams' pick at top of second round would be very attractive to New York. Umenyiora was benched in favor of Mathias Kiwanuka following a poor performance on Thanksgiving night against the Denver Broncos last season and since then he has threatened to quit, demanding meetings with the coaching staff, GM Jerry Reese and even hinted at demanding a trade if the Giants didn't guarantee he'd be the starter in 2010.

Source: Chris Mortensen: Twitter.com

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  2. I would love for us to land the Rams' second round pick in the deal if possible. I don't believe there will be any drop off if we parted ways with Osi.

While Osi is the better pass rusher, Kiwanuka is more of a well rounded defensive end who can play the run just as well as rushing the quaterback. With Osi still unhappy about the starting job not being handed back to him, it may be time to get rid of yet another potential locker room distraction.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
  3. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

Yummy... one of them is gone next year anyway. I'd rather keep Kiwi and get value for Osi while we can. I'd love a mid to high 2nd rounder for him.

4. Osi has two years left on his contract which would be very attractive to teams in any deal. It could come down to a draft day deal depending how the chips fall by then.

5. You can rule out the Dolphins as serious suitors if infact the Giants are asking for a second round pick.

The Dolphins just traded a 2010 & 2011 second round picks for Brandon Marshall unless Miami offers a third and an additional pick or players.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
  6. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

I feel different about this this morning. Osi was coming off knee surgery last year and even in a crapty year he had 7 sacks. I also forgot he's signed through 3 more seasons at a pretty cheap rate so we should keep him. I think he steps up and has a great year if he's with us.

That said... if the Rams are willing, it would be hard to pass up that sexy pick.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010