49ers FS Taylor Mays Lashes Out Against Pete Carroll

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Apr 23, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

New Seahawks coach Pete Carroll selected a safety with the 14th overall pick in the NFL draft this week, but it wasn't Taylor Mays, who starred for Carroll at USC and now Mays is now less than pleased with his former college coach, Sacramento Bee 49ers beat reporter and SN correspondent Matt Barrows reports. Asked about Carroll opting for former Texas Longhorn Earl Thomas over him, Mays paused and said, "Um, it was interesting, I definitely thought from the relationship we had, the things that he had told me about what I needed to be aware of with the draft process and things that I needed to do, I felt he told me the complete opposite of the actions that he took, which was definitely - it was alarming. ... I understand it's a business. But with it being a business, he needs to be honest. And that's all I was asking for." Pressed for more detail about how Carroll steered him wrong, Mays said that Carroll implied, "I didn't have anything to worry about, that my game was ok, that my backpeddling was fine ... my tackling was fine. It was all things that I asked - what I needed to work on, what I needed to show. I was kind of led to think that I was going to be ok."

Source: SportingNews.com

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

Pete Carroll is a lying bastard white man. Fight the freaking power Taylor

btw, you suck at coverage and tackling.

3. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Im sure Pete Carrol was pissed at USC that you werent a better Safety than Earl Thomas

4. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

Mays should be thanking Carroll for not bringing him aboard the Titanic. We all know Carroll is going to fail miserably as a head coach and he was just sparing Mays from being aboard the soon to be sinking ship. Yeah they got Okung and Thomas, and Golden Tate, but they have no Real QB of the future and no real Running game. Carroll is another college coach waiting to fail in the nfl...again. He should have stayed in SoCal where he was a walking king. Yet another freaking idiot.

5. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

He wasn't bad in his previous stint as an NFL head coach, wasn't great, but wasn't bad.

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

He took a New England team from the AFC Championship game (the year before he got there) to the cellar, then right after he left they won the SB. I don't see how that isn't horrible lol.

7. GJDMQYB

GJDMQYB Guest

Get over it !!!!!.. play football make millions and take care of your family, And stay out of trouble

8. bambam

bambam Rookie

HULK SMASH!!! :2up:

9. Trueseablue

Trueseablue Nickle Player

:icon_twisted: Let the games begin,if the players buy into the system they will do just fine, McNabb will talk to the Eagles harsher than Mays will to the Seahawks.

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I'm by no means a fan of Mays but to be fair, he does have a point...he's been so physically dominant his whole career up to this point that none of his coaches bothered to really develop his skills beyond that, just let him skate on his natural talent on the field and called it good for the most part. Carroll basically just threw him out in centerfield and told him to knock the crap out of people at SC without bothering to teach him the actual nuances of the position. Or things like the proper way to tackle apparently, which is obvious in his game. I caught a post-draft interview that I can't find a link for now where he acknowledges his shortcomings and the fact he has a lot of work to do, and comes across as genuinely not only willing but wanting to get to work on it and become a better player. Kid needs a LOT of work, but if he's genuinely willing to work hard on his game he could be decent. Lord knows the physical tools are there.

11. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

There has to be a reason why he didn't take you, Taylor...

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

lol...Mays' head probably exploded when he saw Carroll trade for LenWhale....

13. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Well as a 49er fan I hope that Mays takes all this and focuses his play on getting even and showing everyone why they should have picked him and not let this incident eat him from the inside, out.

14. The Sith

The Sith 1st Stringer

what he's beefin about? Earl Thomas is a much better player than him this shows you how classless Taylor Mays is.

15. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

He was just unlucky. Come on. He is Pete frcikin Carroll for Gods sake.

16. bambam

bambam Rookie

:rofl: