A Re-Explanation Of The Changes Coming To The Site

Discussion in 'Site News' started by SRW, May 16, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

You know.....I did get a couple offers to sell this site off last fall. One was for $15,000 and one was for just under $20,000. I actually held my ground and didn't sell the site off.

I just hope people see that I am not here to get rich off the site. All I want is for the site's members to help support the site.

2. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

I for one, would rather see this site live and thrive, even if that means it is sold.

If you plan on nuking some reasons I come here (Crossfire + O&A sections) you'll lose most of my support. And probably a lot of other people's as well, since we need something to discuss when it's not draft time or during the season.

Not sure why you haven't turned off sigs and other processor/bandwidth consuming items.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

How come some of the forums are already gone? I thought the plan was to wait until the end of the month?

3. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Why not try reading everything before you ask questions, the crossfire and O&A will be in the off topic area instead of in their own forum.

4. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I for one am not against having users host their own sigs/avatars from a free image host.

I'm actually all for it.

5. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

I'd have to check but I think mine is anyways

6. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Tell anyone you know to do it as well.

7. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

It's not June 1st yet. ^-^

8. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

You were asking about crossfire and O&A and I said to read everything before asking about them because they were addressed in the very first post.

9. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I didn't read through all of the posts before... and I assume this has been brought up before.. but I'm gonna throw it out there anyways...

How about a pop-up 'encouraging' members to click the ads once a day? I'm one of the guilty ones, I tend to only remember when I see one of the posts that says 'a click a day'.

If my first refresh or login of the day had a small box pop up that said 'Welcome back to GIF! Please help us out and click one of our ads to support the site!', I'd do it every day and I know other loyal members of the site would, too.

This makes a good bit of sense.

10. hermhater

hermhater Guest

It's what I do. :icon_cool:

11. SRW

You know what the funny part is? Want to know obsolete the O&A forum was? We had over 100 members with access and with this post you are the third person to have issue with it one way or another. If anything that alone proves that forum in particular was dead weight that had to go.

Listen, if losing the Crossfire and O&A forum are reasons for you to leave then....well....thanks for being here and it was fun. We are a NFL site first and foremost. We are reorganizing the site to make that our focus. We will always have an off topic but that section of the site will NEVER be the focus and I won't be putting much (if any at all) effort in maintaining that section of the site.
    Local hosting of sigs/avatars could be something that gets pulled if we have to leave to a less expensive server due to a lack of support. As of now though we are ok.

Again, read my first reply. And the only forum "gone" is the O&A forum which technically is still there but now with you only three people have access to and nobody else who had access before has bothered to ask for.
    Just the fact I am discussing the ads is a violation of Google's TOS. A pop-up ad encouraging people to click on the ads would be cause for Google to immediately pull the ads from us and not pay us for anything. That's why the "Just One Click A Day" thread is so vague.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  12. 86WARD

86WARD -

It looks like yours was uploaded to GIF from what I can tell. I could be doing it wrong...but as Steve said, it doesn't really matter right now.

13. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

mmh, I thought that we didn't host any signatures on the GIF server?

Keep the tumbleweed away. Just saying....

14. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

I have never clicked anything.... I didn't know it was important. I never even opened the just one click a day thread. This will change immediately. Hopefully if others are like me things might improve. Having said that SRW is sounding particularly snitchie of late and his communications about ALL of this have occasionally had the tone of a petulant child. Honest communication without the attitude would IMO work better. There must be ways to improve money in for such a popular site..... We should have a Jerry Lewis threadathon where you postcrap with a GiF donor paypal link and if anyone likes what you post enough to rep, riic, rofl, lmao, etc then they show it by donating to GIF. Set the minimum low (say 5 or 10 bucks). That would add up quick and help supplement the clicks. You could also offer different levels of gif supporter awards based on value of donation.

PS.... I don't give a heck if I never clicked a link before.... You will always get my opinion until you ban me.

15. SRW

16. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

EVERYONE.....

[​IMG]

17. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

:lmao: the voice of reason, Saintsfan1972

18. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the re-explanation Steve...it makes more sense now...I'm guilty too of not clicking...I'm sorry, but I'm usually so rushed for time that I just forget...and probably a lot of others do as well. My slow computer makes it hard to just get everything done as it is...but I promise, I'll try to remember. :icon_cheesygrin:

19. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

Does vbulletin charge anything other than the initial fee? Or is it just a problem with server load and the cost?