Peter King Feels Pat Tillman Doesn't Belong In The Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by SRW, Jun 2, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Peter King of SI.com reports on a current controversy centered on Pat Tillman and whether his valiant life, tragic death and turning down NFL millions to join the Army Rangers in the war in Afghanistan merits a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Tillman was a seventh-round pick of the Arizona Cardinals in 1998, worked his way into their starting lineup, made Dr. Z's all-pro team in 2000, played four years, and, on the verge of earning a $3.6-million free-agent contract in 2002, quit football to serve his country only to be killed by friendly fire in Afghanistan on draft weekend 2004. King's opinion is that Tillman does not belong in the Hall-of-Fame because election is based on what players do on the field rather than off it. In the 90-year history of the NFL, 24 young men who played in the league died serving the U.S. If Tillman goes in, should the other 23 also be enshrined?

Source: Sports Illustrated

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2010
  2. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Tillman didnt have a near HOF career

Not to knock him, but anyone who thinks he should be in the Hall Of Fame is a freaking moron

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

I 100% agree.

4. Jihad Joe

If the NFL wants to put him in the HOF, then the NFL wants to tramp him out

5. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Such a hecked up situation, but yeah he doesn't need to be in the HOF.

6. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

he doesnt have hall credentials.....at all, great guy and sad story...really a shame but the pro football hall of fame isnt reserved for people that die for their country, hell its not even good enough for those people.

and king says it should be on the field stuff only, hes only saying that because this is a story about him being a hero and dying in battle, im sure if he was a coke head and smacked snitches off the field king would say no way even will hall worthy stats. double standard

1 person likes this.
  7. If the Pro Football Hall of Fame decided to create a wing to honor those players that lost their lives during combat, I wouldn't be against it. In fact, I hope that happens someday.

But Tillman only played four years and left to serve his country before he reached his true potential on the field. Not enough to generate serious HOF candidacy.

1 person likes this.
  8. keemNicks

keemNicks Team Veteran

Great point. I would be so down to put them all in, and I think that should actually happen. I mean they should be honored more then someone who just played their entire career, but I know thats not what the Hall is about. I would just feel like such a rod to even make the point King is making. It just seems wrong.

9. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

American HOF.

That's all. He was a great American and a good NFL'er.

10. Jihad Joe

Isnt he in the NCAA HOF?

11. Yes.

He was given that honor back in May.

12. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

and didnt they make a statue of him in AZ?

13. hermhater

hermhater Guest

14. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

i think that is good enough. HOF is 4 on the field activies.

15. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Yeah I'm pretty sure it just happened this weekend, or recently. I saw it on the bottom line and questioned whether that was justified. I'm ok with him being in the college HOF, but I'm of the consensus opinion that he has no place in the NFL's Hall.

16. Gehring53

Gehring53 2008 National Champs

I totally agree, I don't think his career warranted the HOF, but I do love the idea of a wing or memorial to players who served their country.

17. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

What everyone else already said.

18. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

Peter King, I agree with ya.

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

King's trying to make waves and create controversy...only everyone knows Tillman wasn't a HOF player...

He's beloved for being an NFL Player that turned down the money to serve his country...which I am sure all of us are thankful for...but there's not a wing in the NFL HOF for that.

20. With all due respect to Pat Tillman's family, the only reason that this is an issue is because it's contemporary.

Think about how many football players died in WWII. Add to those the numbers that died in Korea, Vietnam, Panama, Iraq I and Iraq II. I hate to be the one to point it out but it seems to me that people "respect" Tillman more for his financial sacrifice than his ultimate sacrifice.