NFL Referee Bill Leavy Admits Errors In Seahawks Super Bowl Loss

Discussion in 'Seattle Seahawks' started by MediaGuy, Aug 6, 2010.

1. MediaGuy

MediaGuy Ball So Hard University

Saying “I’ll go to my grave†with regret, NFL referee Bill Leavy reopened a Seahawks’ wound that won’t heal by acknowledging he made mistakes in Seattle’s disputed, 2006 Super Bowl loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. The veteran official began an annual training-camp rules interpretation session with the Seattle media after practice on Friday by bringing up the sore subject without being asked. “It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that,†said the veteran of 15 NFL seasons and two Super Bowls. “It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly,†Leavy said of the game in February 2006. “I’ll go to my grave wishing that I’d been better.†Though Seattle played one of its poorest games of an otherwise wondrous season that day, several key calls went against the Seahawks in their 21-10 loss to the Steelers. It remains Seattle’s only Super Bowl appearance. Leavy didn’t specify which plays he “kicked†that big day in Detroit. “I know that I did my best at that time, but it wasn’t good enough,†said the retired police officer and firefighter in San Jose, Calif., who became an NFL referee in 2001. “When we make mistakes, you got to step up and own them. It’s something that all officials have to deal with, but unfortunately when you have to deal with it in the Super Bowl it’s difficult.â€

Source: Yahoo! Sports

2. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

3. flexnfx

flexnfx flexnfx

DJax phantom "pushoff" that eliminated a TD, Locklear's blown "holding" call, Rothlesberger's TD that never made it to the endzone...yeah....thx for finally admitting what we all saw 4 years ago...

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I'm not trying to go back and complain about history, but that really was a poorly officiated game.

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, it was the worst officiated SB ever and the hawks may not have ended up winning, but we will never know what the true outcome should have been

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Poorly officiated. But it was poorly officiated both ways. The holding call was questionable. If you look at the replay, there was a handful of jersey. We all know "holding" could almost be called anytime. The penalty on Hasselbeck's tackle was silly. The push off on DJack was legit penalty. He obviously pushed off and the refs called the exact same penalty on Heath Miller that would've given the Steelers a first down. As a result they had to punt. The real funny thing is everyone points to the Jackson penalty, the Roethlisberger TD...neither of those are "the calls" in question.

Seattle played a poor game all around from top to bottom. Starting at the top. Holmgren's clock management was some of the worst I've ever seen...

Penalties or not, I love me :trophy: #5.

7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yes, it's history now and the steelers have the trophy. it was poorly officiated all around and, although the seahawks got the brunt of the poor calls, like i said, they still may not have won so it may not have mattered. Like you say, the seahawks players/coaches were horrible in that game. i'm just not sure the steelers were much better.

once that game was completed, i wasn't necessarily convinced that the steelers shouldn't have been the champs, but i was royally pissed that the referees had impacted the outcome so much and to this day, i still put an asterisk next to that Super Bowl in my mind but it's not the steelers fault i've put an asterisk there, it's just the ref's faults ............

8. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts.....

No news here to anyone who watched the game, but short of ritual suicide owning up to it to Seattle is the best Pittsburgh's accomplice in stripes can do at this time.

9. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I just wonder why it took him so long to own up to it.

10. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Had to make sure all that payoff money was untraceable?

11. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

I can see how you would have a homer point of view. its all about the trophy. but from what i remeber about that game was Seattle was dominating that game for the better half of 3 quarters. then the stupid referees get in the game and things started 2 bounce the Steelers way. there is no changing it. sry doesnt count, not like how Bill Leavy wants it 2 be. its just a sad way 2 watch the end of an awesome season to the great effort of the Seattle Seahawks.