49ers To Fire Mike Singletary Before The Season Ends?

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Oct 9, 2010.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Mike Singletary fired his offensive coordinator after three games, ran off a KPIX interviewer after one on-air blowup and chased off all Alex Smith competition before the season began. If his winless 49ers don't win one of the next two to three games, Singletary might be the next one removed from the premises, according to a team source familiar with the tenuous situation. The 49ers are just two games back in the division and if they handle their business the next three weeks, they could play back into the division lead by Halloween day against the Broncos in London. Or, Team President Jed York might start looking for the second head coach of his brief team presidency. "There are coaches right now that are riding high, and at the end of the season, their job will be in jeopardy," Singletary said. "That's the nature of the job, and I'm thankful for that. So that's where I am with that."

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. At least one team has made the playoffs after starting 0-4....the 1992 San Diego Chargers. And they won the AFC West.

Maybe there is still hope for the niners......

3. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

There's no hope if we stick with Singletary and his way of coaching...

4. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

Well Sweets, I'm actually hoping your team wins today...I picked them in my survivor game! :icon_redface:

5. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Bandi, this is so much more than winning a game....we're in another losing season and with all the talent we have it's a travesty...

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

obviously if singletary doesn't start winning some games, he's gone. i'd say it's not impossible to win this division with 8 or 9 wins so they are not out of it yet.

7. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Maybe head coach isn't his crap, but I bet he'd make a nasty DC somewhere if they let him go.

8. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I'd sure as crap welcome him in Philly as the DC if he gets fired.

9. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

As HC he's out of his element and the Yorks are too stupid to see it.

10. I still gave them hope but their season is now officially in the crapper....

Wonder what George Seifert is doing these days? :icon_cheesygrin:

11. CaptainStubing

eh, it's tough to say anyone is out of it in october, especially in the nfcw. the titans started 0-6 last year and almost made the playoffs in a tough division.

12. What the Titans did last year was remarkable....but imo they dug themselves too deep of a hole to completely get out of.

I don't see the 49ers repeating the feat....

13. CaptainStubing

why is it not possible though? they're in an easy division. we know they have talent. obviously it's hard to win 9 of 11 but they don't exactly have a hard schedule from here. in fact, their schedule is pretty much a cakewalk from here.

14. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

They niners have talent? Says you.

15. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

We don't? Don't we have arguably the best TE in the league? Don't we have arguably the best LB in the league? Don't we have one of the best RB's in the league? We have a very good kicker. We have what could be an elite WR...yes we have talent, says ME.

I don't believe we will win enough games to make it to the playoffs, we need a QB and a real HC.

16. It's just my personal opinion....history is not on the 49ers side.

As for their schedule...it does get easier but I still wouldn't call it a cakewalk. They play Seattle again and they handed the niners their asses the first time around. They've added Marshawn Lynch since.

They have Green Bay at Lambeau in December and even with the injuries....I still see the Packers taking that one. They also have San Diego and they never lost in December since Philip Rivers took over as the full time starter in 2006. I could even see the Buccaneers take one over them on November 21st.

That four games where I clearly see the 49ers losing in the upcoming months. I could be wrong but their remaining schedule isn't a cakewalk in my honest opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2010
  17. 86WARD

86WARD -

Singletary should be fired and at this point, even in the division that they are in, I think it's curtains for the Niners. Where I'd love to see them get on a nice run and win the division, I can't see it happening starting 0-5...but like I said in the NFC West, if it was ever possible, this would be the year...

18. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

Don't think Crabs will ever be elite. Reminds me of Roy Williams. Will prob. have a good year or two, flashes of brilliance, but never elite. Hope I'm wrong.

However you forget about the other VERY good players on the team. Justin Smith is outstanding, Franklin is very good at NT, Clements is not who we thought he was, but still a good player, and Spikes is solid even if he is getting up there in age. I think SF has prob. the best LB depth in the league too. Oh ya, and Andy Lee!

19. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I've run into Siefert a couple times in Bodega on the docks either heading out or coming back from fishing. The locals say he's out there nearly every day.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

Also, curious why people think SIngletary would make such a good DC?

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

Same here considering (a side from this Head Coaching opportunity) all he's ever been was an Assistant and/or LB's coach.