Seahawks Trade WR Deion Branch To The Patriots

Discussion in 'Seattle Seahawks' started by BigBlueBruiser, Oct 11, 2010.

1. One week after trading Randy Moss back to Minnesota, the New England Patriots re-acquired wide receiver Deion Branch, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The Patriots sent the Seahawks a 2011 fourth-round draft pick for Branch, who is expected to be in Foxboro, Mbutt., on Tuesday to begin preparations for Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens, the sources said. Branch grew close to quarterback Tom Brady during their time together in New England and the two remained friends after the Patriots traded Branch to Seattle for a first-round draft pick before the 2006 season after a contract dispute. Branch, who has 13 catches for 112 yards and one touchdown this season as part of a deep receiving corps in Seattle, played for the Patriots from 2002 to 2005 and was named MVP of Super Bowl XXXIX after he caught 11 passes for 133 yards and no touchdowns. Seattle coach Pete Carroll gave Branch a "personal day" on Monday as the team returned from its bye week and later said he expected Branch back with the Seahawks on Wednesday.

Source: ESPN Boston

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
  2. A fourth would be too rich for my blood in this one....a fifth or sixth like I previously mentioned would've been a better deal and more accordingly to Branch's current value.

At least New England gets someone who is familiar with the system so Branch shouldn't have a hard time re-acclimating.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i thought a 4th was a bit much too .................

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

A 4th for Branch is a joke. Seahawks got a great deal there...

5. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

Thought that "day off" seemed a bit fishy.

6. It wouldn't have been wise for Branch to practice and risk injury while Seattle and New England were negotiating the trade.

7. New England trades Moss for a third and gives up a fourth for Branch?

The Patriots had better days......

8. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

Yeah, I know. That's why I thought something might be up.

9. cover the spread

cover the spread beastin'

Welcome home Deion

10. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

The fact that the Patriots would deal a 4th for Branch makes absolutely no sense at all. Seahawks had no intention of dealing him away prior to fielding a call from Bellichek and when they said they wanted Branch Carroll was determined to take a hard stand on the 4th rounder.

11. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

While it is too much, I'm not sure they even really need that pick lmao

But bare in mind, you can fully anticipate Branch producing more in New England than he did in Seattle, so who knows how this plays out.

12. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

4th for Branch? Seriously?

13. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Ummm... are you saying the Seahawks weren't looking to rid themselves of Branch? Pretty sure they were. They were probably contemplating a release in the next couple of weeks if they couldn't get a pick for him.

Essentially the Seahawks traded Branch for Marshawn Lynch. Not a bad deal at all.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

True.

That is, if he makes it on to the field.

14. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

What is their fascination with Branch. A 4th is just silly imo.

15. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Exactly! He had like one half decent year in 2005 and the Superbowl performance. that was it (I understand being Superbowl MVP is a big deal, but in the grand scheme of things...), ever since he's been a non factor in the league.

Fourth Rounder is absurd, Pats got had in this deal.

1 person likes this.
  16. SoDev

No crap... I just looked at his career numbers... teh weak sauce. Didn't Balt. pinch Bolden for a 4th... and Jets snag smoker for a 5th, and Moss goes for a 3rd when Pats got him for a 4th with Branch at least being 2 levels below Moss which puts him at the 5-6 range. I guess the pats put the same value on Branch as they did when they picked up Moss. Strange.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  17. VikingsFan28

VikingsFan28 Wherever Alex Morgan is

Branch's fantasy stock goes way up though

18. SoDev

That's for sure. Maybe Belichick pick him up on his fantasy squad before making the move.

19. TOP DAWG

TOP DAWG Pro Bowler

Brady wanted him, so the deal was made. They had chemistry before, hopefully Branch can still play at that level. Time will tell.