Falcons CB Dunta Robinson May Face Serious Disciplinary Action

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by Sweets, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

You don't have to connect too many dots to figure out that Atlanta cornerback Dunta Robinson might be facing serious disciplinary action for Sunday's hit on Philadelphia receiver DeSean Jackson. A suspension could be a possibility, if you listen to what the NFL is saying. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson said the league no longer will give first-time offenders a free pass for "devastating hits'' and "head shots." In general, the league usually has issued fines for such hits in the past, but Anderson said the league may begin issuing suspensions for such hits. In the past, Robinson might have gotten off with just the penalty or a small fine, but it sure looks like Robinson's hit might have come at the wrong time and Robinson might be used as an example and that could mean a suspension.

Source: ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010
  2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

um, why? out of all of the questionable hits on sunday, his was one of the least intentional. if they suspend dunta for 1 game, then they need suspend harrison and merriweather for 4 games.

and, see, this is the problem with this. are they going to just hand out suspensions based on whether the hit actually injures someone? i've seen some intentional illegal hits that both players get up and walk away and then i've seen clean hits where both players get injured. which one should be punishable?

1 person likes this.
  3. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

It's about technique more then intent. This was the most bang bang of them all but also one of the worst techniques. Dunta just reacted in the second he realized the pass was there. The problem was his reaction was to launch his body helmet first at D Jax's upper body.

I think all hits on the field that are deemed by the refs to be leading with the helmet should draw the flag, Then the league should review them all and if they are deemed illegal but unintentional they should get fined. If they are deemed illegal and appear intentional then they should be suspended. It's never gonna be a perfect system but if they want to cut down on head injuries/concussions then it's the way to go IMO.

4. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

I agree, Capt. They are already starting this wrong.

5. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

Rep for Stubing. How serious the injury is should not have any bearing on the penalty. It's the level of intent that should determine the punishment.

6. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

It doesn't have anything to do with the result. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the intent. It has everything to do with the mechanics.

7. CaptainStubing

you and i are in agreement that it SHOULD be about the mechanics but too often guys are using the wrong mechanics and no one is saying crap about it as long as no one is getting hurt. it only comes up when guys start getting hurt, which is not how it should be. i saw video of meriweather launching at Heap earlier in their game but he missed and no one said crap about it because no one got hurt. he did the same exact thing later and unfortunately connected.

8. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

that is bull duanta didnt launch himself at deSean they had a collision.....and the end result was both of them hurt.....bc most time when its intensional the DB will not get hurt

9. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

That's not what the league is saying it will be.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

He did launch himself with his helmet first. I don't think he did it to hurt him or take him out of the game so much as a reaction to the rapid play but he still drove forward with his helmet leading the way up through Desean and into the air.

10. Omen

which is what they teach since youth put your face in his number and wrap and push through in to the ground

11. CaptainStubing

let's hope the league sticks by it.

12. Omen

so what goona happen when a RB comes out the line and lowers his head and linebacker hits him

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

lol...

14. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Why is that funny?

15. CaptainStubing

yep, it could be an issue. ball carriers are taught to get low and become a small target and you see so many of them with their heads down. in that position, they aren't going to inflict any damage on a would-be tackler unless they hit him in the nuts, but they are definitely in a vulnerable position. Typically, though, if a defender makes a legal tackle, it isn't an issue.

16. Omen

see what im think about is a guy MJD who is small......if a LB fails to lower himself fast enough to get his facemask on the numbers and wrap him their might be some incidental H2H so now a dude has to worry about a rb lowering thwie heads

17. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

If the leagues goal is to protect brains and spines then it shouldn't matter the players/position/play involved. If the hit results in you launching your helmet into another players helmet then it should be flagged. End of story. Much like fines are done subjectively in review after the fact the same should hold true for suspensions.

**********Automerged Doublepost**********

Dunta twitted that he plans to appeal.
    GL with that

18. Omen

see the way i read the the news is that all deliberate h2h would be suspension and all violent h2h hits would result in suspensions.....i mean come all hits in FB are violent and alot of then are not deliberate.....duanta was not deliberate yet he is being punished bc of the result

19. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

For about the 10th time....he is being punished because of the mechanics of the hit. He drives forward helmet first into a defenseless receiver.

20. Omen

yuo van say it 12 more times i dont agree he did what is taught to all FB put yout facemask into his chest and drive

you dont want to get laid out dont run up the middle/slants