Pete Carroll Says Seahawks Couldn't Afford To Draft A QB

Discussion in 'Seattle Seahawks' started by Sweets, May 10, 2011.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The biggest question coming out of the Seattle Seahawk's 2011 draft was not about about any of their selections- although taking offensive tackle James Carpenter in the first round did raise some eyebrows as most draft gurus did not have a first round grade on him. The biggest topic is who they didn't draft-no QB selected in any of the seven rounds. According to Danny O'Neill of the Seattle Times, head coach Pete Carroll brought up the question himself in a speech at the regional convention of the Associated Press Sports Editors. His answer? "We didn't think we could afford to yet." Carroll's reasoning? "You saw us go after a couple guys that were offensive linemen, which is an area that -- without that -- the quarterback can't play." That's not an unprecedented approach. The strategy, however, still begs the question on most Seahawk's fans' minds-Who the heck is going to play quarterback for them this year because Hasselback is not expected back and few observers see Charlie Whitehurst as a legitimate starting quarterback in the NFL.

Source: Seattle Times

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

the value wasnt there....locker would have been ideal for them but after that it would have been a huge reach anywhere else.

i think carrol gets a shot at his boy barkley next year

3. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Smart to build a solid O-line and add some pieces before getting a QB.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

Great point...how many tomes do we see a good QB thrown behind a horrendous O-line set up to fail? I'll buy Carroll's story here...

5. well if the Seahawks don't get a better temporary option than Charlie Whitehurst they'll be getting Andrew Luck.

6. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Thing about Carroll is he usually builds the trenches first.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

And that's a good thing...

8. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

And that will be x 1,000 better pick than if they would have used a pick on a QB in this class, so it makes sense.

9. K Train

they probably wont be terrible enough to get luck but i could see them getting barkley or jones

10. If they have Whitehurst as the QB I think they could be.

11. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

^That. I liken it to Carolina's chances going into last season with Matt Moore as the starter.

And we all saw how that turned out.

12. K Train

eh i think whitehurst could do ok in that offense

13. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

With a better offensive line, possibly. But he would need some SERIOUS help from the running game.

14. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

That's where that new built line comes in handy.

15. Matt Barkley will be reunited with Carroll in 2012.

The Seahawks won't do bad enough to even sniff Andrew Luck.

16. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Barkley also fits the system

17. K Train

i mean okung, unger and carpenter could be the foundation for a pretty good, young oline.

lynch and forsett arent a bad combo of RBs either. neither are world beaters but solid options

18. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Plus they also added Moffitt and still have Spencer.