Panthers Re-Sign DE Charles Johnson To A Six-Year, $76M Deal

Discussion in 'Carolina Panthers' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Free-agent defensive end Charles Johnson agreed to a six-year, $72 million deal to return to the Carolina Panthers, a source with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday. Johnson's contract, which he can't sign until Friday, comes with $32 million guaranteed, the source said. The Panthers made Johnson a top priority after he shined last season in place of Julius Peppers, who left for the Chicago Bears in free agency. "The Panthers told me the whole time they were going to come after me hard," Johnson said Tuesday after the team announced it had come to undisclosed financial terms with the player. "I had to see it to believe, but they did." Johnson said he was "blown away" by Carolina's offer, and the money convinced him to choose the team over the Falcons and Denver Broncos, who also expressed interest. "Could you have turned that down?" Johnson said with a laugh. Johnson had a breakout season for the Panthers in 2010, with 11.5 sacks in his first year as a starter.

Source: NFL.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2011
  2. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

holy crap. didnt see that kind of money coming....i dont think he'll even be the best DE on that team next year. GREG HARDY

3. Wtf are they thinking!!!

4. Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar English Student.

Mans got paid.

5. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

he got damn near the money they wouldnt give peppers.

and they draft cam newton fiirst overall...interesting choices all around in carolina

6. wonderyears

wonderyears Rookie

holy O.O, definitely overpaid some here.

7. Article updated......

8. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

Hardy looked kind of slow last year. I agree though crazy how they lock him up but let Peppers leave.

9. Starkiller501

Starkiller501 Starter

Letting Peppers leave, was a mistake,they'll be feeling the effects of for years to come

10. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

pay the man!

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

Off

The

Charts!!

Is there a team out there that would pay him half that?

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Btw---

How's Osi feel about this deal? Lol...