Jets Reportedly Unsure If Mark Sanchez Can Be Their Franchise QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SRW, Dec 25, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

If the New York Jets and Mark Sanchez end up parting ways sometime in the near future, people might point toward his ill-advised retreat into his own end zone Saturday -- and another untimely fourth-quarter giveaway -- as the beginning of the end of his tenure as the Jets' quarterback. With his team desperately needing a victory in order to stay alive in the AFC wild-card chase, Sanchez laid an egg in a 29-14 loss loss to the New York Giants, completing 30 of 59 passes for 258 yards with one touchdown to two interceptions while also taking five sacks -- one of which resulted in a safety with the Jets trailing by six in the fourth-quarter. Sanchez's poor play, as well as his overall up-and-down performance this season, now has the Jets seriously considering whether or not they have their franchise quarterback on their roster. A league source told ProFootballTalk.com on Sunday that the Jets are beginning to realize that Sanchez, whom the team drafted with its first-round pick in 2009, might not be their guy. Jets coach Rex Ryan has been very outspoken in his support for his beleaguered quarterback this season, but PFT reported that the team would not publicly acknowledge even a hint of a change in tune in regard to Sanchez who has two years remaining on his his rookie contract after this season with a base salary of $8.5M in 2012.

Source: NFL.com

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i wish i was running an nfl team. sometimes they are so slow figuring this crap out and they get paid tons of money to be dumbasses.

3. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Mark Sanchez doesn't have to be a star, he just has to not make dumb mistakes that cost football games. They've had success with Mark thusly, before this season there was no reason to question his ability. He's no Drew Brees, but they dont need Brees.

4. bossco

bossco Rookie

The problem is that he thinks he is Brady but plays like a qb from usc that was picked in the first round.

Droid x. 49ers

5. Dragonite

The problem this year is there defense has really tapered off and their running game is not the same.

6. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

His overall play has improved each of the last 3 years. I think teams just expect way too much from young QB's

The again, it is much easier to play QB nowadays then it was 10-15 years ago

7. Dragonite

The NFL makes it ridiculously easy to be a QB but not everyone can be successful.

8. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

There are a handful of teams that would be interested in making a move for Sanchez if the Jets want to dump him. Problem is I bet they'll be asking for the moon.

9. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

If I was Carrol, I would be willing to give up a second for him.

But he really seems to want to distanse himself from ex USC guys

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

People forget that he took the Jets to the playoffs and AFC Championship game the last two seasons. He's been pretty terrible this season, but I don't think he's a terrible QB...by any means and what are the Jets going to get at that position that is better than Sanchez? That while team has been a letdown (not to me...I love it) not just Sanchez. Start with that fat load of a head coach...

11. CaptainStubing

many of us believe that the jets have made it that far DESPITE sanchez ........ that's the problem. everyone decided sanchez was this great qb because the jets were making it far in january but if you actually watched the jets games from week to week, the guy was basically only helping his team if he DIDN'T make stupid decisions and stupid throws.

the fact that he is with the jets has made it seem that he is adequate because of their defense and running game. if their d and running game isn't clicking, he looks absolutely horrid and everyone says, "boy, sanchez had a bad game". he's just nothing better than a back-up and never will be.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

That could be said about quite a lot of quarterbacks in this league...

13. CaptainStubing

yes, absolutely, i agree. sanchez belongs with a group of starting qb's... alex smith, matt cassel, ryan fitzpatrick, blaine gabbert, rex grossman .......... unfortunately, he's too often placed with guys like matt schaub, matthew stafford, and eli manning....... guys that are actually 'good' nfl qb's that can make plays when their team needs them.

he is in reality a lower-tier starting qb and would actually be better served as a solid back-up but people hype him as a legit franchise qb, which is just incorrect. If the Jets finally give up on him at some point, i'm sure a team will aquire him with this flawed perception and he will flop once again. He will then become a journeyman qb, playing the role of back-up and occassional starter for bad teams.