49ers SS Donte Whitner's Hit On Saints RB Pierre Thomas Was Legal

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Jan 15, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The helmet-to-helmet hit by San Francisco safety Donte Whitner that sent Saints running back Pierre Thomas to the locker room early in Saturday's NFC playoff game was legal. Whitner was not penalized because the tackle was not against a defenseless player. Helmet-to-helmet hits are outlawed against eight categories considered defenseless players, and a runner is not one of those categories. Thomas was considered a runner because he'd made a catch, turned and made a "football move" before being hit. The competition committee that recommends rules changes could examine such hits in the offseason.

Source: Associated Press

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  2. Good old fashioned football...........

3. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I will admit that hit was sick. Well played.

4. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

video anyone?

5. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

Legal and awesome!

6. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

[​IMG]

7. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

Goodell will make this illegal next year.

8. FamousGuy909

FamousGuy909 Ticket Scalper

layed his azz out

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Great hit!

10. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

that was the defining moment of the game. when PT went out i had a feeling we were hecked.

11. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, this was early in the game when the niners were absolutely punishing the saints ............ they were hitting so freaking hard ......... it was fun to watch .............

that was a REAL football game from start to finish and both teams left it all on the field ............ i don't care if it's a defensive battle or an offensive battle ............... to me, what makes a good game is when the teams are playing their asses off and giving it everything they have. You would think this would apply to every game but it doesn't. in fact, it's actually kind of rare to get that kind of effort from both teams on the same day.