49ers Want To Re-Sign QB Alex Smith In A 'Big Way'

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Feb 5, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Pro Football Weekly reports that an inside source has informed them that 49ers intend to retain QB Alex Smith despite his late season struggles. "I think they still want to re-sign Alex Smith in a big way," said the source. "He'll be affordable, and he wants to come back. I would be shocked if they don't re-sign him." There's been plenty of speculation that the 49ers may consider some of the other available options during free agency and the draft but San Francisco hasn't given any indication that would suggest that they'll allow Smith to leave. I'd expect to see them re-sign Smith to reasonable contract.

Source: NFL Trade Rumors

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

If they were to let him walk...who are they going to replace him with? Not Peyton Manning...so..........

3. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

Colin Kaepernick has sat on the bench learning this year. I feel he will replace Alex soon. Maybe after another year on the bench learning

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm talking about this season. If Kaepernick came in for the 2012 season, they'd be taking a step backwards compared to having Smith in there...IMO. Maybe not in the long run but short term, I think Smith is the better option.

5. SRW

Smart money is to sign Smith to a reasonable deal and then find some weapons at receiver and re-sign Rogers and Goldson to deals.

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, smith is probably worth giving a 5 yr/$60 mill type deal with $20 mill guaranteed. that's what mid-range/lower starting qb's make.

7. SRW

And seriously, who did Alex Smith have to throw to last year outside of Vernon Davis? Even Michael Crabtree was a flop. I think Alex earned his new deal. He should be happy with that kind of money. Where is he going to go to be a starter and fit the offense like he does in SF?

8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Nope. Dude's functioning strictly as a placeholder until Kaepernick or someone else is ready. He was effective enough this year but is still not the kind of qb who is going to take the team anywhere himself and can't be relied on to consistently perform at a starting-caliber level. He's the biggest reason the team didn't get any further than it did. I doubt he gets more than a 3 year deal and I also don't see him finishing out the 3 years as the starter if he does get it, unless all the other options completely fall on their faces. Harbaugh has to realize how badly Alex limits what he can do with the offense, and is surely looking towards finding/developing a replacement.