Saints Place Franchise Tag On QB Drew Brees

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by SRW, Mar 3, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The New Orleans Saints have placed the franchise tag on quarterback Drew Brees, Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports. Reports out of New Orleans had been that the two sides remained $5 million per year apart in talks towards a new contract. Brees is likely seeking a contract at or exceeding the $18 million per year level that New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning received in recent seasons with around $50 million in guarantees. Under the franchise tag, Brees would make $14.374 million in base salary, which would be guaranteed upon signing. Brees is coming off one of the most impressive passing seasons in NFL history, setting a single-season NFL record with 5,476 yards and leading the league with 46 touchdown passes.

Source: Mac's Football Blog

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Saints were offering him the largest contract in the NFL and he wanted more...

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

only choice the saints had

4. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

good-bye carl nicks

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Pretty much.

6. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Well heck this is not waht I wanted

7. Saintsfan1972

the ironic thing is that nicks is a huge reason for brees' success. i really thought brees would sign to keep his protection around.

8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

We need a guard in the worst way. HELLLLLLLLLO CARL NICKS!!

9. Saintsfan1972

better get there before dallas

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Im sure he'd rather play for a team that has an actual chance at a championship.:icon_twisted:

11. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Yep I am kind of pissed it turned out like this

12. TideRedskinslunatic

TideRedskinslunatic 2nd String

Redskins should be knocking on nicks front door and colston's front door at 1201 am on the day free agency starts.we could improve a whole lot with colston and nicks.

13. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

How much money can the Skins spend, can they really afford those 2 players along with everything else they need?

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think the Redskins are well under the cap and could afford the both of them plus...if they wanted to. I think I read somewhere that they are around $40M under before releasing players. If they release the "DeAngelo Hall's" of the world, they could get close to $50M under...

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

RGIII, Colston, Nicks...would be a start to an awesome off-season for Washington.

16. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

yep, and like you said, they (amazingly) have some cap room.