Browns Unwilling To Give Up Two First-Round Picks For QB Robert Griffin III

Discussion in 'Cleveland Browns' started by Sweets, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

According to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, The Browns are unwilling at this point to include their second first-round pick, No. 22, as part of any trade package with the Rams. The Dolphins chances are dead in the water and there is no way the Rams would trade with the Seattle Seahawks. Washington appears willing to trade their first-round pick next year, as well as their No. 6 overall pick this year. But they aren’t willing to include their second-rounder this year, which isn’t acceptable to the Rams. Of course, the trade can't be made until after the league year begins on March 13th and the futures of Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn and where they might land will factor into the equation and determine the market for the RGIII.

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Screw yessssss this is terrific news in my opinion

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

you must enjoy finishing under .500 every season.................. they will never be crap until they get a franchise QB .............. ask the Lions.

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Griffin is no sure bet.

5. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Unrelated, but Heckert looks fat as heck in that pic.

6. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Looked like Joe Thomas at first glance. Lol.

2 first round picks and a second rounder is a lot to give up for an unknown quantity on rg3. Especially for a team with so many holes. But on the other hand, if he works out then you have your qb and that's the most important thing.

7. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

One player has never won a team a Super Bowl... never. The Browns are not one player away, thus an entire draft dedicated to one player is not a sound move. Like we've been hearing for years they need to fill a talent gap, and you don't do that by consolidating multiple picks into one higher one. Could Griff be great? Sure. But I'd much rather have the front office evaluating talent and looking for multiple starters, not one potential star.

8. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Besides, if the Rams price themselves out of a trade, RGIII should fall to the Browns anyway.

9. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Ding ding. Fall-back option. Browns have smarter people running things, they'll let the draft come to them rather than make brash moves.

10. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Yea its going to make for an exciting draft. I'm definitely looking forward to this one more than recent ones.

11. CaptainStubing

Eh, you go ahead and be happy with the Browns spending another high pick on a CB or WR that won't make a difference in wins and losses. As long as I have a franchise QB, LT and a stud D-line, I can find enough talent to fill in the other positions.

Now, whether or not we think RG3 is just too risky to draft, that's a different debate. But if I felt RG3 had a better than 70% chance of being a franchise guy, I'm doing the deal.

12. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

You're not just talking about spending A high pick though, the idea is having to blow up their ENTIRE draft just to move two spots to get the guy, and that's stupid. Another full offseason to adjust to the offensive and defensive scheme changes along with another solid draft class and this team will make a lot of progress, even if it doesn't translate into a .500+ record this season.

Which would you prefer, to give up everything to get Griffin, have no more picks to help him until next season and throw him to the wolves this year, OR, be patient, fill holes and build the lines so that if they flop again this year and and in the position to draft high again and look at a QB next year, that person isn't totally hecked? To me, the more positive scenario is very clear. I like the way they drafted last year and look forward to picking up multiple solid players again this draft rather than giving up everything for Griff.

13. CaptainStubing

I will improve every position on your offense with a franchise QB. Part of the reason you 'think' you have so many holes is because you don't have a good QB. IF RG3 is going to be a stud QB, he would instantly make your receivers, o-line, and running backs 'look' better.

I'm not saying RG3 is going to be a stud QB, but if the Browns scouts feel he has a better than 70% chance of being that guy, it's worth the risk. Now, maybe the Browns front office feels he is a 50/50 coin flip. In that case, it's too risky.

But, you could have all the talent in the world at every other position, but if you don't have a great QB, LT, and D-line, you will never sniff a Super Bowl.

14. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Im a huge RG3 fan, but I dont know if he is good enough a prospect for a bounty like that.

To me thats a trade if the #2 guy is a QB that would be the #1 pick in any other draft. Like say if Stafford was coming out this year and it was him and Luck.

I think RG3 would be a legit #1 overall contender most years, but I dont know if he is comlete enough for this

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Flynn and 2 First Round Draft Picks >>>> RGIII in my opinion. Of course the Browns could screw up the picks...

Flynn should be able to come right in and run Childress' offense with a very small learning curve and the Browns should be able to improve on two areas of their squad.

16. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I can think of one team right off the top of my head that was within a quarter of going to the Super Bowl with a very very average QB and LT.

17. TideRedskinslunatic

TideRedskinslunatic 2nd String

RG3 is exactly what the skins need as long as they sign a vet wr and the Olinemen it will take to protect him,especially his rookie year. I Hope that gm allen is knocking on nicks door in new orleans at the exact second free agency begins on march 13th.

18. jarhd1775

jarhd1775 Special Teamer

The Redskins are going to get RG3, no doubt about it. No one will outbid Danny. They may end up giving up their second round pick but who cares, they need a franchise QB bad.

No way Browns can sit back and think RG3 will drop to #4. If by chance the Rams dont make a deal, which is highly unlikely, The Skins would then make a deal with the Vikings. But it wont come to that, skins will make a deal w/ Rams.

19. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I don't think the Browns need a QB, Colt McCoy can be their QB, their problem is he has no threats. His best WR was his TE and his TE had multiple concussions last year. Get Colt McCoy a REAL reciever or two and see how he does. Did he not throw damn near 500 yards in a game last year with the worst Recieving Corps in the league?

The Browns need to fill other positions and give Colt a choice. Drafting RG3 will change nothing despite Captain's pleas to the opposite fact. Draft RG3 and the Browns will go 4-12 next year.

20. CaptainStubing

now that i think about it, i really don't think LT holds as much importance as it once did so I'm going to amend my comment and say "Give me a franchise QB and a stud D-line and everything else can be filled in as needed". the way defenses move their lines around, it's more important to have a decent o-line in general that has good chemistry. LT used to be a lot more important when a pass-rushing OLB in a 4-3 was the most important position on a defense.

and the niners had the great d-line, which is what got them as far as they got. however, they weren't going to get any further without a franchise qb. not coincidentally, they lost to a team that had a great d-line and a franchise qb. the niners just aren't 'complete' yet and that's my point.