NFL Takes Away Millions In Cap Space From Cowboys, Redskins

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The National Football League has taken away cap space from the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports. According to Schefter, the Cowboys will lose $10 million, while the Redskins will forfeit $36 million in salary cap space for their front-loaded deals during the uncapped 2010 season. The delay in the release of the 2012 league-wide cap number was attributed to the league's attempt to figure out what to do on this matter. Both clubs can spread the reductions out over the 2012 and 2013 seasons with 28 clubs, the rest of the league minus the Oakland Raiders and New Orleans Saints, receiving a $1.643 million cap credit.

Source: Mac's Football Blog

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

front-loadsalarycapgate....lol

3. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

guess at least 2 teams are out of the running for carl nicks

4. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

that takes the cowboys out of the running for nicks and the skins out for vincent jackson.

the cowboys arent hurt too bad with it being allowed to be spread out over 2 years, lol miles austin contract shenanigans making his salary one year 17 mil and 1.5 the following year

5. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

Wow now does this mean washington will have a HUGE amount of cap they HAVE TO spend next year?

6. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Thats crazeh!

7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

$36 mill? huh?

8. TideRedskinslunatic

TideRedskinslunatic 2nd String

9. TideRedskinslunatic

TideRedskinslunatic 2nd String

Guess we'll just see man!

10. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

The NFL is buttfreaking teams for a flaw in their system...love it.

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Yeah normally I'd have no issue with the Cowboys or Redskins getting hecked over, but it is kind of messed up that they are getting retroactively screwed for being shrewd enough to take advantage of a flaw when there were no rules saying they couldn't.

12. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

13. CaptainStubing

i agree. we were all told it was a truly 'uncapped' year, yet the league is penalizing them for 'going over' a non-existent cap number?

:wtf1:

14. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!:icon_frown:

15. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I just heard that they were repeatedly warned by the league not to take advantage of the uncapped year and there would be future ramifications if they did, so I don't feel quite as bad for them if that's the case. I haven't even bothered to try and verify the truth of that yet though, its just what someone told me THEY had heard, so take it for what it is.

16. CaptainStubing

so they were given a verbal "don't go over" number by the league but they ignored it so now the league is taking away REAL cap dollars?

if i were the teams, i would be getting my lawyers. if i didn't sign anything, they can't do this.

i'm calling bullcrap one way or the other. either these teams DID sign something and didn't abide by it or they DIDN'T sign something and they could easily have an arbitrator reverse this decision.

17. ragman

This.

18. CaptainStubing

it's pretty funny that the other nfl teams got their lost cap money ............... it's kind of like taking away candy from the bad kid and handing it to the other kid, who gets double candy .................

19. ragman

Or punishing the second kid in a fight, when the first kid started the whole thing.

20. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Caps analogy worked much better.