NFL Takes Away Millions In Cap Space From Cowboys, Redskins

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Mar 12, 2012.

1. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Was Pepper's big money paid out last year in a signing bonus that gets prorated over the term of the contract, or was it an enormous first year salary?

I honestly don't know.

2. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Enormous first yr salary if I'm not mistaken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Omen

[​IMG]

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

and just think, after all of that couragous work jones put into getting the new cba ... this is how he's repaid.

5. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Why do I get the feeling that this was called to the NFL's attention by someone out of the Eagles or Giants front office?

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

why would an another team need to bring this to the NFL's attention ? there's nothing secret about what the cowboys and skins did.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

There's so much wrong with this that the Redskins and Cowboys have to fight this. First of all, aren't ALL contracts approved by the NFL? Anything "questionable" should've been kicked back at that time. Not now. Secondly, the whole timing of this is bullcrap as both of these teams are getting ready for free agency and a "few" hours before free agency the league comes to them and says: "oh by the way...". The league hecked up...

8. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

^Actually a good point with regards to the league approving all deals.

9. ragman

This.

The timing of all this sucks.

10. ragman

1. If Jerry wants a SB at Jerry World again, he can't file suit against the NFL.

2. I just heard on a local sports talk station that the Cowboys have to pay at least half of the $10 million this year. They can pay more if they want to.

11. Omen

I read that George Mara is in charge of the committee that brought this to light

12. smeags

smeags militant geek

all kidding aside this is hecked up from the start. first why even use the term "uncapped year" when in reality it was anything but. like ward said how can the NFL come down on these teams when the governing body has to approve all deals ? why were the deals let through ? whose wheaties did snyder and jones piss in during the new cba negociations ? cause to me the more i think about this is smells of sour grapes.

i mean think about it, what advantage did either team really gain with the players they signed ?

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

Another thing:

What about the teams that didn't spend? Why aren't those being punished?

These guys keep talking about competitive balance, but is that not playing within the rules which both the Redskins and Cowboys did? The NFL thinks they are in the right...they warned teams "six times" about something that wasn't in writing. That's a problem. The NFL thinks it was a rule...it wasn't.

These guys put these silly things in the CBA in 93? in hopes to trigger the
    negotiations...

If you're going to take money from the top teams, you gotta take from the bottom too...

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

each team has to spend a minimun of the cap regardless of an "uncapped" season. were there teams that spent below the required amount ?

this will get tossed out if it goes to court.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

From what I hear, yes. There were teams that spent "below" that agreed upon amount.

16. ragman

No. It would either be John Mara who's the President/CEO or Chris Mara who's the Senior VP of Player Personnel.

17. ragman

Please allow me to vent my spleen about this.

What we have here is 30 NFL crybaby owners who whined to High Sheriff Goodell about the deals that were made in a supposedly uncapped year. The NFL, in their infinite wisdom, do nothing until the eve of free agency, then decide to lower the boom on the Cowboys. This is what totally pisses me off!!!!!

This is absolute bullcrap!!!!!!!!!!!

This concludes my rant.

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

Timing is very questionable as well...very...

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

actually nobody really knows what we have here.

also, don't act as if the redskins and cowboys are innocent in this. whether it was something that was signed or not, they were warned multiple times in writing and they snubbed their nosses at the league.

again i ask though, why even do that for the players either team signed ?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  20. 86WARD

86WARD -

But the were warned verbally and in writing about what?!? A "rule" that was never part of the CBA and never in writing itself? That's a major part of the problem...there was no "rule."