Free Agent TE Martellus Bennett Not Coming Back To Dallas

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by SRW, Mar 9, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Tight end Martellus Bennett acknowledged the obvious during an appearance on Pro Football Talk Live on Friday when he said he didn’t want to come back to Dallas as a backup to Jason Witten. He becomes a free agent Tuesday and plans to look for a team that would make him the starter and the focal point of the offense. "I want to be the No. 1 guy," Bennett said. "I feel like I'm a 60-catch-plus guy on a team, so I want to be in a system where I could do (that). I think a lot of people say the hybrid tight ends or the new type of tight ends are the ones to catch the ball, but I think the perfect tight ends are the ones who could actually block and do things with the ball after they catch it." Bennett has caught only 85 passes for 846 yards and four touchdowns with Cowboys since being a second round pick in 2008 out of Texas A&M. He has not caught a touchdown pass since his rookie season.

Source: Star-Telegram

2. The Sith

The Sith 1st Stringer

The guy is a bust never could do anything on the field. The cowboys van find better TE thru FA and the draft.

3. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

We already have one in John Phillips, imo.

4. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I don't think Jon Phillips is next he might good enough for some downs but not as number 2.

I hoping we target the tE from UGA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Woundt shock me Omen. Garrett loves TEs

6. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I was hoping Chandler wouldn't re-sign with Buffalo, but he did.:icon_frown:

7. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

I thought his second season they were high on Phillips and there was talk of getting rid of Bennett. At least till Phillips got hurt in preseason and was lost all year.

8. Omen

Phillips in realty hasn't done much, and isn't a good blocker which Garrett really likes in his TEs

9. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

It will be really interesting to see what/who Garrett does to replace Bennett. Bennett wasn't much of a pass catcher but the dude was one hell of a blocker.

10. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

He's supposed to visit with the G-Men next.

11. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

Damn.. It will be our luck the guy will turn All Pro with the Gmen. lol

12. TideRedskinslunatic

TideRedskinslunatic 2nd String

It go last year with carlos rogers,dude could'nt hit water if he fell out a boat,but when he went to san fran,turned into an all pro!:icon_sad:

13. Omen

Kellen Davis is visiting the cowboys

14. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Phillips is a good player, but he is more an H-Back then a TE