Cowboys, QB Kyle Orton Agree To Terms On A 3-Year Contract

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by Sweets, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Dallas Cowboys have agreed to terms on a three-year contract with free agent quarterback Kyle Orton, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports. Financial terms were not disclosed. Orton split 2011 between the Denver Broncos, who had acquired him from the Chicago Bears as part of the Jay Cutler trade, and the Kansas City Chiefs, who claimed him off waivers from the Broncos when they went with Tim Tebow as the starter. In eight starts over nine games between the two teams, Orton completed 59.5 percent of 252 pass attempts for 1,758 yards with nine touchdowns and nine interceptions. The 2005 fourth-round pick out of Purdue has passed for 14,532 yards with 80 touchdowns and 57 interceptions and will be a younger No. 2 option behind Cowboys starter Tony Romo.

Source: Mac's Football Blog

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Love this deal for the Cowboys. Wouldn't have minded him backing up Ben in Pittsburgh.

3. The Sith

The Sith 1st Stringer

Good deal.

4. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

Nice to have a backup under 35 for once I guess. I'm content with Orton as a backup though for sure.

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

If Romo gets hurt, I want to see them run a McDaniels style Pro Spread with Orton. Orton is a good game manager in most offense, but if he is in that Pro Spread he can play at a near Pro Bowl level

6. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Agrees with all you's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Three7s

Three7s 1st Stringer

I don't get it. If he stayed with the Chiefs or went to a team like Seattle, he would've had a chance to start. All he's gonna be doing is backing up Romo. Pretty easy to question his drive in that case.

And, quit stealing our players!

8. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

three7's makes a good point .......... couldn't orton have found a team that would have allowed him to compete for starting spot? in dallas, will he ever see the field except if romo gets hurt?

9. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Because he's a system player. Not in that system and he's a fringe starter. Not a guy you really want competing to start

Sent by HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

10. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Packing it in.

Good signing for the boys, either way.

11. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

I don't know if the QB market is as big as people expected. Why are guys like Kyle and Jason Campbell signing backup contracts? I assume its because the starting jobs aren't out there. I think alot of teams have a specific target and if they don't get him they will go with what they got.

12. Tim Tebow

Tim Tebow Best QB in NY

Good for you, Kyle. I'm sorry things had to end the way they did here.

13. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

campbell signing with the jets was a VERY smart move on his part. Sanchez is 1 play away from being benched and campbell is exactly what they want Sanchez to be. If Sanchez gets benched again and campbell is healthy, you may never see Sanchez take another snap for the new york jets.

Romo is firmly entrenched in Dallas and the only way Orton will see the field is if Romo gets hurt.

Big difference between the 2 scenarios. Campbell's choice was smart. He has a real chance to become a savior. Orton's move basically indicates he is comfortable holding a clipboard.

14. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Campbell signed with the Bears bro.