QB Kevin Kolb Staying With Cardinals

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Sweets, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Cards will pay QB Kevin Kolb's $7 million roster bonus, ESPN reported per a team source. That decision would mean the Cards are officially out of the Peyton Manning sweepstakes and will go to camp with Kolb and John Skelton competing for the starting job.

Source: CBSSports

2. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

:icon_sad:

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think the Cards were out when Manning said they were out...

4. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Too bad. I'm guessing he'll be carrying the clipboard before mid-season.

5. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Didnt Skelton finish the season out at like 5-2?

6. markaz

7-2 St. Louis was his first start.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  7. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, that's the scary part.......... the cardinals are SO deficient at QB, Skelton may be their best choice ........ :doh:

8. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Give Kolb an entire offseason. When the hell do you write someone off after trying to learn a new offense in a ridiculously short offseason with a subpar o-line? Only what, 5 or 6 games and they are done with him? Lol.

Don't get me wrong. Cards suck butt this year, I'm thrilled. One less team to worry about.

9. CaptainStubing

if last season had been kolb's rookie season, i would buy that. however, he studied the eagles offense for years before hitting the field in philly and looked exactly the same. how do you explain that?

10. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I recall Kolb lighting crap up in his first two starts. He got completely pummeled due to a crap o-line when he tried opening the season for Philly two years ago. No QB will play well if they have less than three seconds to make decisions.

11. CaptainStubing

vick did a lot better behind the same o-line, didn't he?

12. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I recall Kolb raping us with Philly.

13. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

He has a TAD more athleticism and escapability than Kolb.

14. CaptainStubing

so you're saying Kevin Kolb is Frank Reich .......... he has the ability to have a great game occassionally if everything goes perfectly around him. otherwise, he sucks balls.

i would agree with that.

15. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I'm saying... don't write him off after five games in a shortened offseason while he learned a new offense.

He might suck. And if given 16 games and he didn't show anything, can him. It isn't like the Cards are in a must-win-now situation anyways so might as well try and get some return on the investment.

16. markaz

Maybe I’m off-base for being hard on the outlook for Kolb, but his performances as a starter in Philly and Arizona have been less than stellar. One of the big problems in this entire conversation is that the Cards assigned a value of $63M, Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and a 2nd round pick for Kevin Kolb. You would expect any QB with that kind of value to be a franchise-type QB. But it was and is obvious that the desperate Cards overpaid this guy.

To play behind the Cards’ line a QB must either get rid of the ball quickly or be able to run. Kurt Warner got rid of the ball quickly, John Skelton can run and both played behind the same line and did so with greater success. So only so much blame can be assigned.

I’ve never heard Kolb talk any smack about how great he is and what he’s gonna do and I’ll give him credit for that. The Cards’ FO has done that for him. But I do think that given what the QB’s have to work with and their abilities/instincts, Skelton is probably a better starter for the Cards. If Kolb starts, I hope he kicks butt. We’ll see.

17. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Kolb can be a decent starter. Give him an offseason and a better O-line and see how he does. I don't think hes ever going to be a superstar but he could be servicable, middle of the pack kind of starter, and with Fitz thats all you need. Hes better than Skelton certainly.

18. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Kolb was drafted by a Head Coach that regardless of what you say knows and values QB's in the NFL. With the exception of Doug Pederson he's had QB's on this team that have excelled beyond expectations in almost every facet of the game. Koy Detmer, AJ Feeley, Kevin Kolb. Andy Reid has the perfect system and method of coaching QB's to look amazing. The Eagles raped the Cardinals with this trade and I'm sorry to say that Kolb will be nothing in this league other than as already stated, Frenck Reich. Put him behind a solid line and in front of a soft secondary with great offensive weapons and he'll be Payton Manning. Put him with every other team in the league and he looks like crap. He was a system QB in Houston, played in an awful conference and had inflated numbers. Reid saw something in him that once he got in camp obviously wasn't something he liked. Kevin Kolb is garbage.

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

My thoughts exactly...