49ers Could Still Make A Run At Steelers WR Mike Wallace

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by Sweets, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Pittsburgh Steelers took a calculated risk by not franchising wide receiver Mike Wallace and placing a first-round tender on the receiver. Thus far it has worked. But Peter King of SI.com thinks if Peyton Manning rejects the 49ers and they lose Alex Smith, they would sign free-agent quarterback Josh Johnson and if the Niners save $8 million a year by not signing Smith and by paying Johnson a low 2012 cap number, King believes they'd consider making an offer for Wallace. San Francisco knows it would have to surrender the 30th pick plus a contract in the neighborhood of $8 million a year to get the speedy Wallace, because Pittsburgh would have the chance to match any deal offered to Wallace. This is a longshot, but don't be stunned to see it happen -- if Manning jilts San Francisco and Smith runs off too.

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

they didnt guarantee moss anything so this may be the better move to make long term. Crabtree, Wallace, and manningham would be a solid group

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

I tend to agree with K Train here. Wallace is a great fit in San Fran.

4. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

Wow steeler fans are ok with this?

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Wouldn't make me happy at all. I'd rather dump Mendenhall and use his money to help keep Wallace, but like I've said, if a team has the dough and doesn't mind dumping the pick, it'll be easy to steal him away.

6. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

i love wallace, but i dont think hes irreplacable and the second first round pick would be lovely.

if they do lose him, resigning cotchery is essential and they need to draft a WR probably in the first 4 rounds

7. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

I've never read anything on him saying he wants to be a Steeler, so I'd rather get something for him then him walking away for free down the road.

8. y2kbug

y2kbug Take the Gunga!

What are the 49ers trying to do? take every single WR available, i mean with Moss, Crabtree, Manningham and now they want Wallace, not to mention they have Vernon Davis who is a solid beast.

Seems like they want to become an airshow with those kind of weapons

9. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I'd love it. I've been pro-this move all along.

11. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

Ya but who knows whats going to happen with Moss. No guaranteed money, they could easily cut him. Plus they lost Ginn, Morgan and Swain already. So it might seem they are stacking up on receivers they're really looking for quality replacements.

12. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Who can they get with their first round pick that will be as productive as Wallace can be? They have the cap room now that they are out of the Manning sweepstakes.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

Wallace would be well worth the 30th pick imo...