Dolphins Were Unwilling To Pay Matt Flynn Franchise QB Money

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins' started by SRW, Mar 30, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Dolphins-related angst peaked when free-agent quarterback Matt Flynn, the perceived soul mate of coach Joe Philbin, bypassed Miami to sign with Seattle. A Dolphins source told NFL.com's Jeff Darlington the team was willing to offer Flynn just under $4 million per year because they weren't convinced he was a franchise quarterback. Seattle committed to paying the former Packers backup more than double at nearly $8 million per year on a three-year deal. Flynn said the Seahawks were "led by the right type of people," perceived by some as another ugly review of Miami's front office.

Source: NFL.com

2. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

So were the Seahawks apparently. Because if anyone thinks Matt Flynn signed some franchise QB contract, they are stuck in 2006. The going rate for a franchise QB contract is three times what they are paying and guaranteeing him.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

agreed. $8 mill is marginal starting qb money. the hawks did not break the bank at all and it's actually a short term contract that they can get out of pretty easily.

this is a 'spin' campaign by the dolphins trying to act like it was 'their' decision because they've had so many coaches and players refuse to sign there over the past couple of years.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would buy this spin.

4. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Can't say I blame the Dolphins here. Granted Flynn has had two great starts, he's going to have to show me more. I honestly think the Seahawks overpaid for him but it is what it is. With what Flynn is making in Seattle, I say no way he's not starting.