Falcons Hope To Acquire Eagles CB Asante Samuel

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by Sweets, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

A person familiar with the talks says the Atlanta Falcons are trying to acquire cornerback Asante Samuel from the Philadelphia Eagles before the NFL draft. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity on Tuesday because the deal, which may include a draft pick, is not complete. The 31-year-old Samuel, a four-time Pro Bowl pick, would give the Falcons' new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan a strong trio at cornerback with Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes, who Tuesday signed his franchise tag tender. Samuel's contract calls for him to earn $9.9 million in 2012 and $11.4 million in 2013. He might rework the deal to help the trade fit the Falcons' salary cap.

Source: Associated Press

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. this was just leverage to get Grimes to sign and he did.

3. buffalobillsfan1

buffalobillsfan1 2nd String

If he is really willing to re work his deal, that would be a good CB combo with him and Grimes.

4. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

They would be better off getting better on offense. That is what they really need help in.

5. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

Personnel wasn't the problem on offense, it was playcalling (for the most part, there were O-Line problems and of course Matt had his struggles), I think Koetter will fix this "omg, we've got two great WRs, let's force the ball down the field" philosophy that Mularkey lived on.

The defense, especially the secondary, got ate alive by almost every QB under the sun, adding Asante would work wonders. While we REALLY need stronger safety play, this would be a huge advantage for us.

6. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

I agree that safety help is more paramount. I think you need that more than another corner. But you know your team better than I. As a Saints fan I hope your team implodes. :))

7. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Why the heck would you send him to a tough NFC contender when you have interest from teams in the AFC?

8. buffalobillsfan1

According to profootballtalk, they are close to getting the deal done.

9. guess I was wrong. Shefter is reporting the deal is done.

10. buffalobillsfan1

Just seen that.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

This...but then again, people questioned the McNabb to Redskins deal...lol.

12. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

True. But I think even the Eagles will tell you Asante isn't 'finished'.

13. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

[​IMG]