NFL Says Voice On Video In Bounty Case Isn't Ex-Saints DE Anthony Hargrove

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by Sweets, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Green Bay Packers defensive end Anthony Hargrove has insisted on multiple occasions that a key piece of evidence against him in the New Orleans Saints bounty issue is a case of mistaken identity. Voice recognition analysis confirmed that Hargrove was not the person who said "Bobby, give me my money," a quote captured on an NFL Films video of the 2009 NFC Championship Game. Amazingly, it now appears the league has agreed. As Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk points out, commissioner Roger Goodell wrote in a letter to Hargrove and three other suspended players that he is "prepared to assume" Hargrove was not the one speaking. But Goodell went on to claim that the video, which the league introduced during the appeal hearing and in a meeting with reporters, was not a factor in Hargrove's eight-game suspension. "The identity of the player who made the statement was immaterial to my decision on your appeals and did not affect the level of discipline imposed on Mr. Hargrove," Goodell wrote in a letter that was attached to legal filings submitted Tuesday. The commissioner said the video nevertheless provides ample evidence of a bounty program, no matter who said the words, and that "members of the Saints defense, including Mr. Hargrove, were well aware" of it.

Source: ESPN

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  2. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

" Bobby, Give me my money. " is evidence of a Bounty Program? Not necessarily .Not unless there was OTHER evidence going with it like " I hurt that bastard, and now I want my money for it. " not exactly hard evidence there. But nonetheless, NOTHING is going to change. Period. So, its no use in continuing to drag this out. This is the only news that the NFL and Saints can keep providing, and as fans of any team..i am quite sure its getting old..and fast.

3. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Can't give you news other than what is out there since training camp hasn't started. I'd rather this than other round of Brett Favre that's for sure.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

What would be awesome is if Favre were the one paying the bounty...

5. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

i've really been trying to avoid these threads because it makes me want to falcon punch a baby

another week... another story change by the NFL.....meanwhile the NFLPA and the players have not once changed their story. nothing fishy going on here.

6. Chipper10

Sweets, I'm not putting it on the NFL News Mods for posting it. its news, it should be posted. Mainly the NFL and media for putting it all out there.

Saintsfan, exactly. They continue to change it, to try to make it look like they're legit. As Saints fans, we are accused of seeing it through rose colored glasses, though. If they have the hard proof, then I wish they'd release it. But they won't. They just release some. It gets negated, and basically falls through..then they change it..and eventually the same happens.

7. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

[MENTION=1541]Chipper10[/MENTION], I didn't take your comment as bad just that there is nothing but the Bounty Gate out there...no worries ☺

Until this thing is settled I'm sure it will be news up until training camp..

The NFL doesn't need to release anything to the media or public and probably won't until it goes to court, but a word of warning, don't be all about DeMaurice Smith, he is a liar.....

Tim Ryan was talking about this on Sirius NFL Radio yesterday. De Smith went on WFAN in New York and said that the NFL never contributed any money towards the pensions of retired players. Ryan, a former player for the Bears, said it says right on his pension check the amount from the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Retirement plan. Ryan then went on to say just in the past 2 years the NFL has given $350 million to that retirement fund. He didn't know how much the NFL has given since it's inception but since it was started in 1962 it's significant.

<just saying>

If Anthony Hargrove really is innocent then power to him and I'm glad he didn't say what was on the tape...but I thought the NFL didn't suspend him for the video but for saying he did know about the bounty program, but denied it when asked in 2010...I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  8. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

this would take me to unreal levels of happiness

9. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Yup Sweets, I believe SF12 posted the affidavit by Hargrove saying he knew about the program and now he says it never happened.

10. Chipper10

I'm not saying the Bounty Program didn't happen. And, I surely don't take what Smith says to the bank. But, Roger is a liar, too. This is proving more and more that neither the NFL or NFLPA can actually be trusted. It's like politics.

11. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

has anyone heard any more about the charge on Mickey Lomis listening in on other teams convos? Haven't heard anything more about it.

12. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

FBI is still investigating the wiretapping charges and the Saints hired a firm to do their own investigation. It's been mum since.

13. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

It was such a big deal on the heels of the bounty crap. Now nothing. maybe it was a case of trying to pile on.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

This...

15. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Hang in the Saints fans. the truth will out.

Here's something ta pick up your spirits:

[​IMG]

& just so ya know, if you take your glasses off, they're petunias. :icon_cheesygrin:

& I also confess, that's my voice on the tape. That was actually the night before when we were in a drive thru...

16. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

lol @ changing their story....nothing has changed, the Saints are still suspended, Hargrove wasn't suspended for the voice on tape...

17. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

I hate to say it.. But with all the lawsuits the Saints are just the scapegoat in all this. If they are really guilty or not is irrelevant. Roger is just trying to make the NFL look like he is making things right in the eyes of the "fallen". Cause if they go to court with all the "hurt" ex players, with the recent suspensions and rules the NFL might not get hammered as bad. just my .02

18. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Yeah you are right AZ. He can't lay down on this issue and then let the other retired players' lawsuits get some more ammo.