Jay Cutler, Alex Smith - Who Is Better?!?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by misfitz, Sep 14, 2012.

1. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

God Cutler is terrible.

Glad Alex Smith is my Quarterback and not Jay Cutler.

People talk about Cutler like hes a top 10 quarterback and hes not. Alex Smith is a better quarterback then he is.

you compare Cutlers last 3 years to Alex's they are actually pretty close
    Jay Cutler last 3 years
    43 games 811 Completions 1363 attempts(59% completion) 9718 yards(226 yards per game) 65 Tds 54 Ints(1.51 Tds per game)(1.25 INT per game)
    Alex Smith
    38 games 722 completions 1185 attempts(61% completion) 8075 yards(213 yards per game) 51 Tds 27 Int (1.34 Tds per game)(.71 INT per game)
    so is 13 yards and .17 more TDs more important then .54 more INT per game?

2. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Alex Smith didn't have Mike Martz sending him to the wolves though. He was hurt that year. Not to mention Smith has a much better offensive line.

3. misfitz

If you have ever been on the 49ers message board you would know that any quarterback that is any good would be able to look elite no matter how is blocking for them or who his receivers are.....lol

Cutler has always been bad and then he will have 2 really good games and then have a few terrible ones he is so inconsistent. The Bears need to draft some Olinemen for sure but still come on cutler.

4. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

damn. i thought cutler was gonna light the packers up considering alex smith moved the ball fairly well against them. :icon_eek:

5. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I heard the elite mentioned last week bout cutler

6. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

no

7. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Cutler is not a good decision maker under duress, being forced to make something happen throwing off his back foot. I'd rather him eat the ball all day.

Cutler haters can belly ache all they want about how bad they think he is but football people who have watched this circus act of an OL for years know where the issues are.

This latest 'version' can't even zone block as a unit...

8. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

eh, i will grant you the Bears o-line didn't play well last night but there were at least a few of the sacks that were either 'coverage' sacks or Cutler holding onto the ball too long.

In addition, last night is a perfect example of why a lot of people have a problem with Cutler. If things are going well, he leads/plays fine. However, he seems to 'give up' or become anxious too quickly if things aren't going well and doesn't seem capable of leading his team out of the problems or making plays on his own despite some bumps in the road.

Cutler has always and apparently will always only be as good/bad as the team around him. He doesn't actually make the group he's playing with any better.

He's basically Drew Bledsoe reincarnated.

9. misfitz

umm yes he is look at the stats I posted above. so you would trade 13 more yards a game and .2 TDs for an increase of .5 INTs per game? Alex Smith hasn't thrown a INT in his last 185 regular season attempts and he had 68 playoff attempts without an INT. Thats 253 attempts since his last INT Cutler had 4 INT in 27 attempts last night.

Alex is better then Jay. Oh and he doesn't curse out his teammates within earshot distance of the media.

10. Tarkus

Grant me? :icon_lol:

Tell me the last time they played well. Even in the Colt game, the majority of plays was Cutler buying time, not from protection.

Bear fans knew against a better D they'd be exposed easily. Check the stats for the last few years on where the 'vaunted' Bear OL ranks.

Cookie cutter response, I'm afraid, Cap'n.

Cutler has his fair share of warts, the biggest being that he's prone to trying to make things happen that aren't there. or... A good example is one of the picks where Bennett stood still waiting on the ball instead of coming back for it, a bane of Bear WRs for years & years.

This Bear team is wrought with issues regardless of a little Emery pixie dust. Also throw in that people laughed at Martz but somehow forgot that Mike Tice as an OC is not an upgrade whatsoever. Another of our crosses to bear in Chicago.

That 'only be as good as' comment goes for any QB in this league, some more than others but still goes. Throw Brady on the Bears & remember to forward the condolences card to Giselle, throw Manning behind this OL & schedule OR9 for immediate surgery, throw RGIII out there & he'll die of a burst heart from being run to death, throw Vick on this train wreck & watch Peta throw a 'Justice Has Finally Been Served' parade, etc., etc., etc...

This Bear team has holes across the board in varying degrees but to hear the same tired Cutler one liners while making excuses for that excuse of an OL is ridiculous. I nail him to the cross for the really stupid things he does but can't deny the guys the Bears have put in front of him for years now aren't even remotely close to decent protection - pass or run.

11. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

thats a tough one to comapare alex smith is nothing but a game manager i would say cutler definitly has a edge on him its just one game this year i still think cutler has a better year this year then smith. Nothing wrong with being a game manager as long as they win i just think the 49ers lean more on the run game and the defense then alex smith.

12. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

All qb's yell at their teammates and coaches. Its not a knock against jay.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUlrCH6gLQw&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Peyton Manning and Jeff Saturday arguing on the sideline.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

13. ball in the baskett

14. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

That's what i'm saying. The oline deserves to get yelled at.

15. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I love it when people use stats to try to justify an argument. Cutler did make some bad decisions, but what QB doesn't at some point? But did anyone really see how much time Cutler had to throw? On so many play he had a defender in is face with no pocket to step up in in less than a full second. I would love to see any great QB make something happen with that little time. Not to mention how bad his protection is even in max protect, case and point is Forte threw a block that a girl scout could have went around and then subsequently Cutler was sacked less than a second later.

16. ball in the baskett

i think the people that are craping on cutler right now will be proven wrong but no doubt next years draft bears need to take a OT.

17. Tarkus

A-heckin'-men...

Yep...

Screw Jay for the stupid crap but under those circumstances...

I jumped off the couch so high on that play, I almost hit my head on the ceiling.

Forte really pissed me off with that sorry excuse of an effort.

18. misfitz

game manager? so he managed the game against the saints in the playoffs? He managed the game against the Packers? Here's one you probably saw last year in Philly he brought them back from 23-3 and SF won and Alex threw for 2 TDs before Gore ran in the go ahead TD.

Last year Alex Smith had 6 4th quarter comebacks/Game winning drives is that something game managers do?

This Offense is not built around Passing yards that not Jim Harbaugh's offense even the "Franchise" QB Andrew Luck only had 4 300+ yard games under Harbaugh in 25 games. This offense is about balance and making a play when needed and Alex has come through when it mattered most.

19. misfitz

Yet when people made these same excuses for Alex Smith over the years it wasn't valid?

20. ball in the baskett

Not saying alex smith never makes the big play for the 49ers but hes not really that big play qb consistantly. Most of the time hes a game manager and i think most people would agree. I think ure viewing me saying hes a game manager as a bad thing as long as the team wins hes doing good.