Eagles Coach Andy Reid Has No Intention Of Taking A Year Off From NFL

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by Sweets, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

All signs point to Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie firing Andy Reid at the end of this season but if it happens Reid still wants to coach and doesn't want to take any time off, Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports.

"That's not where I'm at," he said Tuesday when asked about taking time off as he left the practice field following a midday walk through in preparation of Thursday night's game against the Cincinnati Bengals. "No. Listen, I'm a coach. I don't hide that from anybody. This is what I do. And I enjoy doing it. I love every day of it. I sure like winning more than losing, but I also am very privileged to be a coach in the National Football League."

So, if Lurie decides to move on, Reid will be eager to move quickly, ideally to the next head-coaching opportunity that awaits him. Though coaches like Mike Shanahan and Jeff Fisher have seemed to enhance their marketability after taking a year off and have come back recharged and with control of their respective front-office destinies, Reid expresses no desire for rest.

"No, I've got the energy," he said. "The energy is there. Listen, you'd have to talk to people around me. I'm not gonna sit here and … you know how I am. I keep my energy level up. I enjoy what I'm doing."

Some sources familiar with the Eagles' organizational mindset believe it's possible that Lurie, despite his preseason decree that Reid would have to improve on last year's 8-8 record to receive a contract extension, could relent and decide to retain Reid, particularly given the potential flashed by Foles since the rookie replaced the injured Michael Vick last month.

"After his son died, I thought maybe [he needed a year away]," Eagles tight end Brent Celek said. "But he's still really into it. He wants to win a world championship. Not only does he want to win one, but he wants to win one in Philly. He wants to be here. I feel like he's hungry. That's why you saw him get so excited [after the Bucs game]."

Source: The Redzone

2. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Andy needs to get his head checked. I have never seen a man in bigger need of time off.

3. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Andy needs to go to the NCAA. He'd be MONEY there.

4. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

he needs to take a year off from eating

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

So San Diego or Cleveland it is...

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

sometimes people don't know what's best for them. hopefully someone close to andy that he trusts will convince him of the right thing to do here.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Agree Captain...but then again, maybe coaching is the best thing for him...

8. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Sometimes I'd agree with you, but not in this situation. Anytime you try to push through something this terrible, all you're doing is distracting yourself from the grief. I understand there's comfort in that, but it doesn't make anything better in the long run. The problems will still be there, and I personally think it's important for him to take some time..

9. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

This.

10. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

He needs to spend a year with his family. Period.

11. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I think it's impossible for anyone, including himself, to truly know what is best for him mentally.

12. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I'm pretty sure focusing time on his family could not ever be considered a bad thing, while coaching next year certainly could.

13. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

I dont understand people saying he NEEDS a year off says who? If he wants to coach next year let him i would be annoyed with people telling me i should have a year off if i dident want to.

14. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I don't think that people who suffer a tragedy need to take a year off, or don't care about their family if they don't. I'm not saying that's what you mean.

Different people deal with things in different ways. I will not hold anything against him if he coaches next season.

15. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I agree... but his kids are/were hecked up. Hate speculating on what COULD have been, but what if Reid took a year off when his sons were starting to get into trouble? Dedicated a year to working on his family and helping his sons with their addictions? I'd imagine his other son hasn't sent in his résumé to the Mormon church yet...

I won't hold anything against him either, but there will not be a better time for him to leave for a year or two than this offseason.

16. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

He really needs to.

17. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

His body language is crystal clear. He looks so burned out. If he wants to keep going without taking that sabbatical, more power to him, though.

18. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i don't think anyone is saying Reid shouldn't be able to make his own decisions .............. those of us that are suggesting it might be the best thing are saying it because it is our opinion, considering the overall situation.

if reid wants to keep going straight through and a team thinks he is able, then that's fine. some of us just believe some time off might be good for him and his family.

19. 86WARD

86WARD -

Still... Things affect people different ways. Some of us think it is best Andy take off a year. For him, it may not be the best way. I know for me, I'd rather keep my mind off things to cope with them. For Andy, football may be the way to do that...taking a year off might be worse for him. None of us know that...only he does.

He's not coaching my team and probably won't, but I would welcome him next season if he was and I'd trust his decision. No one knows Andy better than Andy.

20. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Arizona? And I'd take him without his taking any time off.

No disrespect to Philly fans, but Philadelphia is a torture chamber for HC's in any sport. If it isn't the media, it's the fanatical fans that place more pressure on a coach and players than in any other city I can think of. Going to some other organization just may be the vacation Andy Reid might need.....and I hope it's here in the desert.