Cardinals Assistant Ray Horton Says 'We Can Win With Kevin Kolb'

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by SRW, Jan 3, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Ray Horton spoke with reporters on Wednesday after he met with Michael Bidwill, Steve Keim and Jason Licht about the head coaching vacancy the team has. One thing that became evident is that he feels confident with quarterback the Cardinals have on their roster, particularly the oft-injured Kevin Kolb.

Team president Michael Bidwill said on Monday that he hasn't given up on Kolb. Horton has the same confidence, as noted on AZcentral's transcript of the interview.

When you're 4-0 with Kevin - Kevin went through a lot of issues with being the starter, not being the starter, being the guy, not being the guy," said Horton. "We were 4-0 with Kevin and we can win with Kevin and we did win with Kevin. He's got the tools. We talked about a model of just giving him the backing going forward."

Source: SBNation.com

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

That's what Bidwell wants to hear. +1 for Horton.

3. SRW

So is Kolb that bad? I personally am of the opinion that their offensive line was about as bad a unit as I have seen in the last decade, no joke. There were games they simply could not block period. What can Kolb bring to the table with a good o-line? Or is he to brittle to bother?

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i don't like promoting a coach to take over the same team when he was part of a failed regime whose head coach has just been fired. it's not to take anything away from Horton, it just never works because from the players mental perspectives, nothing has really changed ........ it's nearly impossible to bring a new attitiude, culture, and feel to the team if you were just part of the failed group of coaches.

Horton would be better served going elsewhere.

5. SRW

Good point. Player's don't need another serving of the same 'ol, same 'ol.

6. markaz

At one point I was the biggest Kolb hater of Cards fans. But that changed when I watched every game he played in, got absolutely dismantled by opposing defenses and continued to get off the turf with his helmet spun around 180 degrees. His offensive line induced injuries were severe enough to keep him off the field. Another factor was Whisenhunt's QB carousel and never supporting Kolb when healthy. I'm not a Kolb homer, but he is the best option for the Card given the amount of crap QB's out there to be had via trade or the draft. Undoubtedly the Cards will pick up a QB in the draft, but with the idea of having 3 QB's on the roster vs. Kolb + 1 until the O-Line has proven it can earn its salary.

7. markaz

I can appreciate that, but if Horton liquidates the remaining coordinator and all coaches associated with the offensive side of the ball, that to me is enough of a change to alter the mindsets of the offensive unit. It does not seem practical to disrupt the only element of the team that works as a cohesive unit. Tear down the coaching there and it would be a disruptive force that's unwarranted. From the interview transcript it is reported that Horton will also relinquish all defensive responsibilities when he hires a new DC, so that may act as the change you refer. Also, the culture of a team is the primary responsibility of the GM. The Cards GM was sacked as well

I think a very good example of what you refer is the Chiefs. Pioli instituted a malignant micromanaging culture that infected every aspect of the organization. That is the team that should have every coach and GM removed and start fresh on both sides of the ball. Just my opinion, but I can perfectly understand your viewpoint.