Chip Kelly To Pass On NFL, Return To Oregon

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by yisman, Jan 6, 2013.

1. yisman

yisman The Ambivalent One

Oregon coach Chip Kelly has decided to turn down a chance to go to the NFL and to return to the Ducks, according to league sources.

Kelly was intrigued with the Eagles job but decided he wasnt comfortable leaving college.

The Cleveland Browns interviewed Kelly last week but decided to reboot their coach search after leaving Arizona late Sunday morning without landing Kelly, sources said.

Kelly has built the Ducks into a national power. Oregon has gone 46-7 in the last four years and made four consecutive BCS bowl games. Kelly run's a high-octane, fast-breaking offense, and elements of his schemes are already being used by New England and Washington.

Source: ESPN.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  2. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Must have found out that some teams play defense in the NFL

3. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHrTh8xz9fo&feature=ytfce]Chip Kelly Staying In Oregon - YouTube[/ame]

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

He would've been a disaster in the NFL and would have had to return to college...most likely coaching a team like North Carolina.

5. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Eagles and Browns dodge a bullet.

6. SRW

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRckia0CNsQ&feature=ytfce]Chip Kelly Turns Down NFL - YouTube[/ame]

7. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

no matter what he did

this guy just got paid

8. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Establishing a perennial national power has enabled Kelly for many, many years to come at Oregon. Given the mindset of NFL owners to win yesterday, he's smart enough to know that in the NFL he's one bad season away from termination. And knowing he would have to adapt to the way the game is played on the field in the NFL instead of some team adapting to his style and system, he made a good decision.

9. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

Chip Kelly is a god in the state of Oregon. The man could murder a hundred puppies and eat them all on TV and they'd say "Oh Chip." It was a smart move on his end. I don't think it's coming with a raise or anything but it keeps his legacy in tact and enables him to win a National Title at some point. Marcus Mariota will get some serious consideration for the Heisman and the Ducks could be in the picture for a national title. Either way, best move Chip. Eagles fans thank you. Now bring me Mike McCoy!

10. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

11. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Gus Bradley
    Mike McCoy
    Mike Nolan

I'm down with any of these guys.

12. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

lol if you want mike nolan than you obviously dont want to win.

13. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Said it before and I'll say it again: he brings an immediate improvement on defense and it'd be his second stint as HC. Probably learned a crapload about what to do as an incoming HC and more importantly, what NOT to do.

14. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

He will need to bring in a great offensive coordinator because he knows jack crap about Offense. He wants more ball controlled super boring offense. He has a lot of things to work on and I wouldnt give him another shot.

15. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I can understand why you feel that way. I don't want Andy Reid as a coach when probably half the fanbases around the country would love him.

I want a guy that has experience. Any guy that has HC experience and is on the market clearly wasn't doing a great job at his last gig. A lot of factors go into that though.

I'd agree that we'd need to bring in an OC that can run the offense on his own. But it doesn't seem like he is on the short list anyways.

16. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

The one HC I think i'd be okay with honestly is Lovie Smith. I think that Lovie could do good things in Philly but I'm also praying that he gets hired as the DC. This team is LOADED with talent but needs someone to direct all the talent. A team of potential superstars with no leadership is just a bunch of nobodies.

As for Nolan, no thanks. I want David Shaw. ;) But I'd settle for McCoy. He'd help a TON with our offense. I just want them to hire a DC/OC with experience and not just another teams QB coach or whatnot.

17. SRW

[ame=http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000123271/Chip-Kelly-to-stay-at-the-University-of-Oregon]Chip Kelly to stay at the University of Oregon - NFL Videos[/ame]

18. SRW

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y6nixno_tA]Right/wrong coach: Chip Kelly - YouTube[/ame]

19. smeags

smeags militant geek

thank god - i wanted no parts of kelly. he wouldve been a disaster. this option college bullcrap will not work in the nfl. ever. go ask d.c. what they think of putting the qb out there to be hit all game long works.

20. jarhd1775

jarhd1775 Special Teamer

Cant say I blame him for not wanting to go into Philly. That teams in a freefall and doesnt look to recover anytime soon.