Chiefs Coach Andy Reid To Call Plays On Offense, Defense To Remain A 3-4 Front

Discussion in 'Kansas City Chiefs' started by SRW, Jan 14, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

New coach Andy Reid said Monday the Chiefs would continue to use the 3-4 defensive system they’ve had in place for four seasons.

“There’s been time invested in the 3-4 here,†Reid said. “The 3-4 gives you some flexibility. I’ve run both (defensive systems). I’ve been involved in both so I understand how they were. The 4-3 is good if you have the right coaches in place and the team is invested in it. But this team here is invested in the 3-4, so let’s continue to build it and get better at it.â€

The Chiefs have drafted players, including end Tyson Jackson and outside linebacker Justin Houston, specifically with the 3-4 in mind. Linebackers Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali and safety Eric Berry are Pro Bowlers this season in the 3-4 and Houston and cornerback Brandon Flowers are first alternates.

Reid said he hired new coordinator Bob Sutton with the 3-4 in mind.

“(Sutton is) able to keep the keep the integrity of the defense as far as the 3-4 goes,†Reid said. “Bob knows the 3-4 and he knows it well.â€

Reid also said he would call the offensive plays instead of coordinator Doug Pederson but he said Pederson was ready to be a coordinator even though he has coached in the NFL for just four seasons.

“He’s a sharp kid,†Reid said of Pederson. “He was in charge of the quarterbacks. Doug is a good student. I’ve watched his leadership on the field. I’ve watched his ability to teach. I’ve watched the respect the players have for him. All of those things checked out. He’s a creative guy. He knows this offense like the back of his hand. He knows protections, he knows situational calls.â€

Source: Kansas City Star

2. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

What he was really saying:
    If Todd Reid, errrr, Andy Haley, errrr, Andy Reid is just looking for a guy to stand on the sideline, pretend to be doing something and get paid to do it, I'm available.

3. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Well that means Charles will not get used at all....

4. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

pass pass pass pass pass run lol

5. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

he said later he was really counting on smeagle and ball in the basket on switching from the eagles to the chiefs as their fave team too! lol:icon_smile:

6. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

They don't even have a capable QB. Andy calling plays isn't going to work out too well.

7. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

not gonna happen lol

8. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Yea Charles just lost his fantasy value.

9. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

And what a great draft class for QB's to select from. All of a sudden I see Vick in red.

10. 86WARD

86WARD -

Matt Flynn...

It's going to be interesting to see how the QBs perform in the Senior Bowl. Their performances might have a BIG impact on what a team might have to pay for Flynn...

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

It happens every year. QB's who were considered questionable talents while they were actually playing football get huge boosts in the postseason and end up shooting up draft boards and getting into the first round.

12. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Wallace is correct. some people are saying we will only have 1 qb taken in the first round. i've even heard people say there will be none.

as usual, a couple will move up late and we will end up having a few taken in the 1st round. QB is just too important. teams are will to take the risk.