Eagles Land Chip Kelly As Head Coach

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by Sweets, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Philadelphia Eagles must have went back and put a full-court press on Chip Kelly.

Because the meandering search to replace Andy Reid has come to an end. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that the Eagles have hired Oregon’s Kelly as the next coach.

It’s a stunning development after the Eagles made a play for Kelly two weeks ago and then were rebuffed when Kelly announced he would return to school and decline overtures from the NFL, ones that also came from the Cleveland Browns.

It looked like the Eagles were closing in on Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, who had a second interview on Tuesday, but instead they landed one of the hottest names out there.

Source: National Football Post

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

I don't think this was the right move for Philly.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

That second interview with bradley must have sealed the deal.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm not that find of Kelly. I think there are better, more experienced options out there.

5. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

This coming season should be interesting.

6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Crap. Time to hope he can make the transformation to the NFL.

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

I agree but the gold standard has shown us once again they are smarter and know how to get things done better then everyone else.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  8. 86WARD

86WARD -

I always forget that they know all...

9. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I am not a fan of this for all of the obvious reasons that have been stated over and over.

With that said, he's the coach of the team I love and I'll give him a chance. But I'm not particularly optimistic.

Vick isn't going anywhere. Screw me.

10. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

He did a Saban!...and probably be just as successful in the NFL as him.

11. yisman

yisman The Ambivalent One

Kelly really went out of his way to look like a scumbag here.

He flirts with several teams and decides no one is offering what he wants, so he makes it known that he's returning to Oregon. Oregon and its fans are happy, they get to keep their coach.

Then a week or two later he pulls the rug out.

Say what?

12. smeags

smeags militant geek

Its true. Confucious calls them for life tips.

13. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

wow, what a weird sequence of events. chip apparently is indecisive about where he should be and that is not typically a good thing. at this point, i'm assuming this is going to be another spurrier/saban/petrino situation and chip will end up running back to the ncaa after the nfl chews him up and spits him out.

anything can happen i suppose though and maybe he will prove a lot of us wrong.

14. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Vegas have any odds on him making out of Oregon safely?

15. CaptainStubing

my initial thought when i heard this is that chip just received some bad news regarding the possible sanctions against oregon and that made him change his mind ..............

another theory is that the eagles stepped up their offer to him after mccoy chose san diego yesterday.............. not sure if either of these have any legs but they're both possible.

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

Just a couple additions to Kelly...

[​IMG]

17. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

It may be most likely that he panicked and changed his mind yesterday when it appeared that the Eagles were about to sign Gus Bradley.

18. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I don't know where I saw it but apparently he's getting more control over the team than they offered before. I'm guessing he has the ability to put his own coaching staff together and make personnel decision ala Pete Carrol but not with the big fancy title.

19. CaptainStubing

so, not only have they made someone who hasn't spent a minute of his life in the nfl an nfl head coaching job but they're giving him personnel control?

if this guy figures out how to succeed in this league before getting fired or quitting, i will be impressed.

20. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

You and me both friend.