Packers Likely To Extend QB Aaron Rodgers' Deal This Offseason

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by SRW, Jan 29, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Don’t think it went unnoticed among the Green Bay Packers’ hierarchy and quarterback Aaron Rodgers that Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is looking for a Drew Brees-type contract.

It’s yet another reminder that the Packers probably are better off moving sooner rather than later on renegotiating Rodgers’ contract.

Rodgers’ contract doesn’t run out until after the 2014 season, but he’s horribly underpaid at an average of $9.3 million a year, so the Packers appear more likely to address his contract this year, Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports. With a deal for Flacco possibly coming up, that could be incentive for the Packers to do a new contract with Rodgers first, because if Flacco gets anything like Brees money, Rodgers’ price only skyrockets.

Source: The Redzone

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, he'll get a brady/manning type contract, right?

5 yrs/$100 mill ? i think if he wants it, they'll have to pay it. he may give them a hometown discount though so that they can afford to keep some of their other players.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Brady/Manning contract talk should really be Brady/Rodgers at this point.

4. CaptainStubing

not sure what you mean. i think peyton has the richest contract in the nfl right now doesn't he? peyton made $18 mill this year and will make $21 mill each of the next 2 seasons if he passes his physical in march (unless he renegotiates).

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Actually, I meant to type Brees/Rodgers...lol.

Does Manning make more than Brees?

6. CaptainStubing

it looks like brees' contract was a little more rich over the first 3 years, which is really all that matters because they end up renegotiating after a few years.

Peyton is basically getting $60 mill for the first 3 years of his deal. brees will get $61 mill for the first 3 years of his. i would think rodgers will get a similar deal to theirs unless he gives them a discount.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

I can't see how he can't get that kind of deal other than him not asking for it...I think it would be insulting to Rodgers if they offered anything less.

8. CaptainStubing

yep, rodgers should get $20 mill/yr if he wants it because he is just as important to his offense as peyton and brees.

brady gave the pats a hometown deal and only made $49 mill in the first 3 years of his contract.