Jerry Rice Responds To 49ers WR Randy Moss' Claim Of The Greatest WR Ever

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by Sweets, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Randy Moss made some waves during media day when he said he thought he was the greatest receiver ever, Frank Schwab of Yahoo Sports reports. Well, it turns out that Rice is in New Orleans as part of ESPN's Super Bowl coverage, and the subject was obviously brought up to Rice, who thought what most everyone else did.

"I’m very surprised Randy Moss used that in those words, that he’s the greatest," Rice said on ESPN's "NFL Live." "You’d never hear me say I’m the greatest football player to ever play the game. I let my body of work speak for itself, and I think I was able to be very productive on the football field.

Moss said that he can't be defined by stats, but that seemed to flummox Rice as well.

"You have to look at the stats, you have to look at how you impacted the game, and it’s all about winning this right here, this is it, the Super Bowl, and I was fortunate to win three," said Rice, who was rightfully ranked No. 1 on the NFL Network's ranking of the top 100 players of all time in 2010. "Randy he finally has a chance to prove himself this weekend, and I wish him the best."

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  2. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Moss will never reach the level of Rice. On the other hand, Rice never mooned the fans..

3. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Or chewed out a caterer, or admitted he took plays off, or squandered so much potential.

4. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Rice was the consummate professional. Moss ruined his chance for greatness being the diva he was or still is.

5. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

just looking at the stats and the impact moss had this season as a 9er hes not even the greatest receiver on his team right now let alone better than jerry frigin rice

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Welllll I wouldnt quite go that far, but he was a considerable sight better than Moss.

7. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

jerry rice just did his job every play,moss only did his job when he wanted too!

8. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

Overblown. So the dude thinks that (maybe he really does, maybe he doesn't), not rare for pro athletes to be over confident.

9. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

moss's impact on this niners team goes beyond stats. he has been a class act up to this greatest statement. he put in so much work coaching up the young guys. he really been an unsung hero for this offense

10. Buck Fenson

is there something about Rice that I don't know about? Never heard of him getting in trouble or anything. I meant that he showed up for work everyday and tried to improve all the time. Not just rest on his laurels.

11. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Rice was a diva, crying over catches...he wasn't the professional a lot of people seem to think he was...ask the 49er fans, we all know...All Rice should have done was let Moss talk his crap, people know who is the greatest WR.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

So you're saying Rice was pretty much like every other WR in the NFL...only the most talented. :wink:

13. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

49er's probably don't have a division rival who's fans moon teams' busses as they leave.:icon_cheesygrin:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  14. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

That mooning thing is so OVER STATED...it's not like he actually dropped his drawers and flashed the fans...I swear some people..:rolleyes:

15. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

Caught in an Asian Massage Parlor during a police raid.

16. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

One season of being the class act, didn't nix the rest of your career, were you not acted like this

17. Buck Fenson

wow. didn't know that about Rice. Guess he was not the professional I thought he was.

18. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

19. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

I'll take him being the best WR of all time in a Superbowl game if he can haul in about 5 TDs :icon_cheesygrin:

20. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

Ironically, we got Rice, thanks to the Patriots and the Patriots got Moss thanks to the Niners...

BTW - Rice is still the GOAT. Moss is the SBOAT.