Roger Goodell Says He Will Address NFL Drunk Driving Problem

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SRW, Feb 2, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Drinking and driving by NFL players is a problem Commissioner Roger Goodell wants to address.

He said Friday at the Super Bowl he met with Mothers Against Drunk Driving last week to work on the issue.

''The reality is we have to do a better job of educating people in the NFL that this is a priority: 'This is for your safety, for the safety of the people in your car, and for innocent people that are out there.' There are services designed to help them make better decisions before they leave their homes,'' Goodell said during his pre-Super Bowl state of the league news conference. ''We have to make sure that they understand those services, and most importantly, take advantage of them.''

Dallas Cowboys nose tackle Josh Brent faces an intoxication manslaughter charge for a Dec. 8 crash that killed his friend and practice-squad member Jerry Brown. Last month, another Cowboys player, lineman Jay Ratliff, was arrested after sideswiping a semitrailer truck. Ratliff was charged with driving while intoxicated.

Blood-alcohol tests released by police say both Brent and Ratliff were well above the legal limit.

Source: Associated Press

2. ram29jackson

ram29jackson sports spectator

we have to do a better job of educating people....?

you cant teach common sense

3. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

It's about freaking time! the nfl should fix this problem above all the other ones they have!

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

Well...just in this story alone there are two African-Americans pictured. I think Goodell should start by wanting to see more "whites" drive drunk...its only fair...or at least act like they are drunk while driving. He could call it the Leonard Little Rule.

5. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Just put a 2-4 game suspension punishment in the books, and leave it at that. The players will either smarten up or they won't. No one wants to hear Goodell's freaking preaching though.

6. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

It is stupid that they suspend players for peds,but they don't do jack crap when they drive drunk!

7. groenator

groenator Rookie

I don't think there is common sense for them... to hard for them to understand...

8. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

This.

On the other hand, NFL-players ain't the only involved with DUI.
    You will always have ppl drive drunk and the majority won't change, no matter how you'll fine them

9. groenator

groenator Rookie

Of course you will have a lot of ppl involving in the DUI, but still a message it is always welcomed. Makes a big difference sometimes.

I don't believe that you will ever stop drink driving but at least decrease the percentage would be good.

10. lambertjr

lambertjr FNG

Roger to the rescue!! oh goodie, I feel so much better now.