Saints LB Curtis Lofton Restructures His Contract

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by SRW, Feb 15, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The New Orleans Saints apparently have started making room to get under the salary cap. Linebacker Curtis Lofton has restructured his contract to help free up some salary cap space.

Lofton's cap figure was scheduled to be $7.1 million in 2013 but the Saints were able to drop that number to $3.1 million by replacing a scheduled $5 million roster bonus with a $5 million signing bonus that will be prorated over the remainder of the contract, according to ESPN.com.

The Saints were expected to be about $20 million over the salary cap but General Manager Mickey Loomis appears to be working to do away with that number.

Source: The Times Picayune

2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

soon we will have to pay the piper. I hope he works his magic for another 5 years. That is most of the current contracts expire. Brees, Colston more or less, Payton, Loomis. Then rebuild. Gonna suck but it will happen.

3. GreenFish11

GreenFish11 Special Teamer

Curtis Lofton is an overlooked LB. He plays the run like the best of em.

4. Buck Fenson

thing is he just signed and already redoing the old contract. Teams shouldn't be able to do that. why not just give everyone their money in a signing bonus and small game checks. I like Lofton. He brings an attitude to this defense. Hope we draft a hard hitting safety. No one feared our defense and for good reason. Hope Ryan can bring some new attitude to this defense.

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Teams do that because a large second makes up for a tiny first year which helps the club fit a player in the cap

Sent from my HTC Vivid

6. Buck Fenson

I understand that. but it seems to me it is cheating somewhat.

7. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Glad to see they are working to restructure deals and get the cap down.

8. Buck Fenson

but won't we just revisit this same problem a couple of years later?