Falcons TE Tony Gonzalez Appears To Be Wavering On Retirement

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by SRW, Feb 19, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez made it clear all season that he was 95 percent sure he would be retiring after 16 years in the NFL. But last week, it was reported that there was no timetable for his decision, and now, according to ESPN's Ed Werder, Gonzalez is wavering.

“I think if the circumstances are right,â€￾ a player close to Gonzalez told Werder, “Tony will come back.â€￾

Gonzalez clearly wanted to win a Super Bowl title (or at least, play in a Super Bowl), and that dream ended when the 49ers beat the Falcons in the playoffs. Even though Gonzalez ticked up his chances of retirement to 97 percent in January, losing to San Francisco might have changed his mind.

Mostly because Gonzalez is still one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in Atlanta, and knowing that, here's what general manager Thomas Dimitroff said recently:

“A guy who is 36, catching 100-plus balls, it just doesn't seem like it's time for him to move on. Tony's a man and he's got to make his own decision. Suffice to say, it's not going to be easy one way or another because he knows that he still has fuel in the tank, and it's very legitimate fuel in the tank."

Source: CBS Sports

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
  2. GreenFish11

GreenFish11 Special Teamer

That's right Tony. You have the taste of success on your palate and now you're salivating.

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

And it's gotta hurt after them being up in that game like that..

4. GreenFish11

That has been a consistent issue with Mike Smith as HC. There is a red flag with this. Don't get me wrong, Mike Smith is an excellent coach and has broken damn near every franchise record since 2008.

He just needs killer instinct.

5. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Is he going to drag this out all off seasons like Favre.

6. GreenFish11

God I hope not...

7. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

He is getting a little closer every year, and I think he has 2 more good years of football in him. Dude is just the G.O.A.T.

8. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

after the last few years i just cant see him dropping off dramatically skill wise

if he can still run you know he can still catch

9. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Still one of the best in the game. Can't go out like that

10. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

rumor is now that tony will come back if the falcons pay him $7 mill next year and let him skip training camp?

i think he will need at least some training camp just to get up to speed on everything.

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

My dynasty team says "return".