49ers QB Alex Smith Drawing Interest From Chiefs?

Discussion in 'Kansas City Chiefs' started by SRW, Feb 23, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The Kansas City Chiefs could be one of the teams with the most interest in acquiring Alex Smith from the San Francisco 49ers, says Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports.

The 49ers won't release Smith, according to what Coach Jim Harbaugh said Friday at the NFL Combine. That means they believe there will be some sort of market for the former first overall pick who lost his starting job to Colin Kaepernick following a concussion last season.

The Chiefs are in need of help at quarterback with new coach Andy Reid looking at all options to upgrade the position. Meanwhile, the report also says the Arizona Cardinals would be interested in Smith as well. However, the 49ers preference would probably be not to trade Smith inside their own division, if they can avoid it.

Source: National Football Post

2. warcrychief

warcrychief Ur just da assistant Pimp

no...im fed up with QB's from other teams.

3. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

If anything I would try to get Foles, Andy knows the kid and he knows Reid's system. Because this is not the year to try and get a QB via the draft.

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Alex was a #1 pick, so I'll take the Chiefs #1 for him.

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i think alex and reid would be a good fit for each other.

6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Joe Montana, Steve Bono...Alex Smith? What is it about the Chiefs picking up 49ers QBs?

7. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Steve DeBerg, Elvis Grbac

8. Spiman2u

Spiman2u Chiefs fan no matter what

your nuts,,lol Alex is coming-How about straight cash? 2nd round at best

9. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

Probably swapping 3rd rounders or 4th rounders if the trade goes through with the Chiefs

10. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

So little? I thought Alex was damn good?

11. misfitz

The niners have very little trading power here. They are up against the cap and Alex is due 8.5m and the Niners have already established that they are going forward with Kaepernick. Why would any team trade for him when they know the Niners are going to have to release him. Those other QBs that were traded for were in rookie contracts with very little money involved and GB could have kept Flynn on the bench and not hurt their cap at all. That is why they had all the trading power when it came to trading Flynn. Easy enough to understand?

12. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

So yeah... he's not that good. Ok.

13. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Green Bay didnt trade Matt Flynn.

14. misfitz

whatever it doesnt matter what is said you are stuck in Alex sucks land and will never believe that he is a good qb who just needed a real head coach.

15. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

QB market is really weak this year. Only Geno Smith is separating himself from the rest of an otherwise godly awful rookie clbutt.

OTOH, the demand should be pretty high. You have the following teams in dire need of a "starting" QB:
    Chiefs
    Browns (rumor has it they are willing to trade McCoy and Weeden, and Norv is there)
    Arizona (will never happen, but boy, I can dream, can't I?)
    Jaguars (don't care how much Bradley repeats he's gonna give Gabbert a chance, you know he'll want to upgrade the position)
    Bills
    Jets
    Raiders
    Vikings (let's face it, Ponder sucks and the only reason he's given another chance is that he didn't have a chance to blow their playoffs game).

It's a buyers market. And having a buyers market filled with mediocre talent leads to overpaying for mediocre talent. Why do you think the Pats netted a second rounder out of Matt Cassel, who was unproven as hell, and Vrabel, who was at the end of his career anyway? And let's not forget Alex is still under 30. He can suck the life out of another fanbase for another good 6, 7 years. It's just a shame the Raiders won't be the ones overpaying for him (too scared from the Carson Palmer fleecing), or the Cards (Haarbalke may be classy enough not to trade him away to a divisional rival so we can beat him up twice a year) or the Jets (having Sanchez, so little cap space and Tannenbaum gone).

16. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

You mean a sellers market. A buyers market would be lots of available top talent at cheap prices - benefiting the one needing the talent (buyer).

17. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

So you tell me that's why I've been failing my economy tests ? :icon_cheesygrin: You're right, my bad. Point still stands.

18. CaptainStubing

pretty much all of the chiefs fans here are convinced alex smith is on his way to k.c. ...... and they all pretty much agree that anything more than a 4th or 5th rounder would be too much to give

19. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

El... Oh... El...

20. CaptainStubing

should be an interesting next few days here in kansas city :popcorn: