Jets GM John Idzik 'Actively' Shopping CB Darrelle Revis At Combine

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SRW, Feb 27, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The New York Jets "actively" shopped cornerback Darrelle Revis at the Scouting Combine and received interest from several teams, the New York Daily News reported, citing an unnamed source.

The story follows another Daily News report that said the Jets didn’t meet with Revis’ representatives at the Combine.

Revis is entering the final year of a four-year, $46 million contract, which forbids the Jets from putting the franchise tag on him a year from now. For that reason, it appears the Jets would like to trade him now rather than watching him walk next year without compensation. At the moment, the team doesn’t seem interested in negotiating a new long-term deal with Revis.

Source: Sporting News

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Kinda have to really think about trading for Revis. Sounds good on paper but when you break it down, it might not be worth it...

There's no arguing that he is the best at his position. But he comes with "baggage."

There are a lot of GMs in the league that love Revis but they have to also notice that there is always "something" that involves Darrelle Revis every year. It's not something major, but it always keeps the team and himself in the news. That's a concern with some teams.

The other thing, the Jets gave him a deal that was SUPER player friendly and the problem is, the next contract had to be like that and them the next...so there is a concern that if they trade for him, can they keep him happy?

He's most likely worth at least a one, maybe two ones...maybe the Jets want something beyond that. It's not really worth two ones and beyond plus all the cash you need to throw his way through the contract.

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

One first-rounder is the starting point I think, and the Niners' pick obviously would be out-gunned alone by a lot of the others. Maybe first and third gets it done for someone in that situation.

4. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

How do you take a chance on trading for him. His past actions would lead you to believe that he only wants to make an enormous amount of money and won't be happy otherwise. A team that has a lot of money to spare and just wants to make the big name splash has a chance. Otherwise he will put a team in cap hell for his position.

5. SRW

Whatever team trades for him ends up with his contract which still has one more year left. It could be a team looking to get him to help for one season in a Super Bowl run. Why give him a new deal if you don't have to?

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Then you could potentially be giving up a lot of cash and picks for a rental...

7. Buck Fenson

or he could say he would sit out without a new contract. then a year later complain that he is not making enough.

8. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Has this guy ever played more than 2 or 3 years without wanting a new deal? I don't think hes worth the headache anymore.

9. Buck Fenson

no more than 2 I think. I agree, he is not worth the trouble and hassle.

10. SRW

Well if he does get traded and ends up holding out for a new deal then he's cemented his douchebaggeryness.

Is that even a word?

11. Buck Fenson

Now it is. When it hits the internet it automatically becomes true.

12. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, i think any team that would trade for revis would make sure they already had a deal done with his agent.