49ers Agree To Trade QB Alex Smith To Chiefs

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by Sweets, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

In an extremely limited capacity, under a perfect storm of coaching and personnel.

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

agreed. no question he can be an average starting nfl QB with all the pieces around him........ he has proven that he can read nfl defenses fairly well and make accurate short and intermediate passes. that's not what chiefs fans were looking for though. keep in mind this is an organization that hasn't drafted a quarterback that has started a game for them since Todd Blackledge 30 years ago. ...... that's a pretty amazing piece of information when you think about it.

Every regime that comes into kansas city brings in someone else's retread and they never develop their own QB and they continue being mediocre year after year. Chiefs fans were just expecting more ........... and i don't blame them at all. What did Einstein say ?

smith can't

yep. if all of the pieces around him are functioning at 100%, smith can be an 'ok' starting nfl qb. that's the best he is though.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

Well wait till he deals with reids time/game management.

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

You know? Or you think you know?

It wouldn't be the first time a change of scenery made a player better.

And if anyone thinks its a lateral move going from Cassell to Smith, they're nuts.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
  5. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Reid runs WCO. There was inevitably going to be a lot of dumping and dinking no matter what.

You guys can have your opinions that the only way he could ever be good is with your current Niners team, but i wont be surprised in the least if he succeeds in KC. The whole team will suck next year and I'm sure everyone will jump on him for it, but it is year one of rebuilding. Wont really have an idea till the year after.

6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

A QB rating of 104 is considered only 'ok', not good?

7. DawkinsINT

Plus with the exception of one season, Smith's numbers improved every year.

8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Barely getting 20 throws a game, averaging well under 200 yds per game and not being asked to do much in the passing game other than not heck it up too badly makes it a lot easier to get good qb ratings and "improve" statistically in peoples eyes who must not have actually watched him play week in and out. He's fine in that limited capacity but he's not a guy you can ask to throw the ball 40 times a game and carry the offense or elevate the game of those around him. On a team with a "bad" defense, few pieces in the passing game, and a one dimensional run game, he is going to be asked to do a lot more than he's "used" to, and the results arent going to be a 104 rating with minimal turnovers, I'll guarantee you that.

9. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Chiefs would have been way better off with Jay Cutler.

:icon_cheesygrin:

10. DawkinsINT

Nobody is calling him Brady, and I certainly don't trust what Reid will do with him, but to act like he isn't a legitimate QB like Fez said is way over the top.

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Its really not. He's never been anything close to legitimate starter material under anyone but Harbaugh/Roman in the last 2 years out of eight, and that was in an offense that was very specifically tailored to play down to his limitations and not put too much on his plate...and even then, without the elite defense and great run game taking pressure off him, I highly doubt he'd be in the position he's in today with people calling him a legitimate NFL starter. If you want to break out the tired old argument about all the coaching turnover and having to learn a new system every year making him look bad, guess what? He's once again in a totally unfamiliar system with all new coaches, a bad line and no talent at the receiving postions. It's probably not going to be pretty. Let the AleKCuses begin!

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Who would be a "legit" starter under someone like Mike Singletary? Mike Nolan? Not exactly "legit" head coaches...

13. DawkinsINT

I guess we'll find out. I don't want him to succeed, btw. That would mean Reid would.

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

Lol @ the bitter Dawk.

15. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

So all this time, [MENTION=536]DawkinsINT[/MENTION] has been saying he considers someone with Alex's limitations/stats a legitimate starting QB? Screw his dump-offs, heck the fact that he had Crabtree since the latter's rookie year and never connected with him. Alex's weapons of choice were Davis, Davis, Davis, dump-off, Davis, Davis, dump-off, the ocasional pass to Crabtree, rinse, repeat. No wonder Crabtree's numbers took off when Kaepernick deservedly claimed the job.

I guess we just have different standars. And yours seem to be a lot like Alex's fanboys over at the niners board.

16. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I'm sure Vernon is crying a river right now and Crabs is singing hallelujah...

17. DawkinsINT

If you can have a QB rating over 90 and win a lot of games, then you are a legit starter. Not perhaps a pro-bowler, but legit yes.

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

What about Mike McCarthy? Norv Turner? Mike freaking Martz benched him in favor of JT Osullivan. Regardless though, except in very infrequent instances of very short duration (< a full game), he flat out played badly. This wasn't a case of a talented quarterback struggling through bad playcalling and coaching. He was very clearly a bad quarterback struggling through bad playcalling and coaching. Terrible mechanics, decision making, bad at reading defenses, utterly inept at progressions, inaccurate, tenative, and robotic. No touch, no feel for the game or natural instinct. None of that has changed much either, he's just finally surrounded by an elite line, defense, run game...and coaches that, thanks to the other elements I just mentioned, are able to tailor strategy and call plays designed to cover those shortcomings. You really think Andy Reid is suddenly going to go run-heavy and throw just 20 times a game? Rely on the defense to keep things close and then grind on offense? Thats the only thing thats ever worked for Alex...start asking him to chuck it 40 times and go vertical its gonna get ugly quick. I promise.

19. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Wait, when did we start talking about Matt Cassel in his Pats stint?

20. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

What do you call a QB rating of 79 and slightly over 1:1 W/L and TD/INT?