49ers Agree To Trade QB Alex Smith To Chiefs

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by Sweets, Feb 27, 2013.

1. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

2008-2012 Cassel vs. Smith
    [TABLE]QB Cassel Smith
    W-L 29-33-0 27-17-1
    Comp. 1,181 855
    Att. 2,005 1,377
    Pct. 58.9 62.1
    Yards 13,242 9,601
    TD 80 62
    INT 55 32
    NFL rating 80.6 88.2
    Sacked 156 115
    Sack pct. 6.9 7.4
    Rush 208 125
    Rush yds. 828 422
    Rush TD 3 2
    Rush FD 51 28
    QB PAA -26.5 -17.9
    QB PAR +185.5 +128.4
    Total QBR 46.6 46.6[/TABLE]

i've said all along since reid was hired in k.c. that alex smith would be a good fit for his system. alex does well at what reid likes to do so if alex is ever going to succeed anywhere, it should be in k.c.

mike furrey led the NFC in receptions in 2006. does that make him a 'good' receiver?

i agree that he is a 'legitimate' starting nfl qb (of course, 'legitimate' is very subjective). the way i see it, smith will fit into reid's offense about as well as any, will do fine throwing a lot of short and intermediate stuff and probably win a fair amount of games.

he's just not the kind of guy that's going to take a team on his shoulders and take his new team to great heights after leaving his original team (Brees/Saints, Manning/Broncos, Favre/Vikings, Warner/Cardinals)............ this is more like Matt Schaub to the Texans than any of those other instances and that's why Chiefs fans are just having to stomach this whole thing.

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Cassel only did it one season. Smith did it twice and improved throughout his career.

3. DawkinsINT

That counts his whole career and most of the bad numbers were in his early years. Check out his last 4.

4. CaptainStubing

see the chart i posted above for responses to both of these.

5. DawkinsINT

Agreed. Smith did play better.

6. DawkinsINT

I would call that more than ok. Don't forget, he played defensive back a lot. If he concentrated on just being a WR, the dude might have been good.

7. CaptainStubing

now you're just trying to get me revved up, aren't you .......... :rofl:

i've watched both of them play a LOT over the past 5 years and they are basically the same qb.

............ same yards passing per game, same INT rate, same sack rate, alex has a little better completion rate ................ they are very similar in their styles. both have noodle arms but can read and react to the short stuff pretty well. don't know what else to say about this.

8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Ive watched every game of his career, most of them more than once, many of them many times. If you think his statistics the last 2 years (or 4, lol) make him a good quarterback than more power to you I suppose, but all that tells me is you have no idea what youre talking about and havent actually watched him play much. The team hasn't started winning because of him. Their success isn't due to his stellar play. Its not "his" W-L record. Less than 200 yards a game, (only 3 games over 300 in an 8 year career), 20ish attempts a game = minimizing the quarterbacks chances to affect the game through his ineptitude. If they thought he could throw more and not heck up, they certainly would have done it. Kaep had 4 less starts and the same amount of attempts. Oh, and they let him throw deep too, something Alex wasnt permitted to or ballsy enough to do. David Akers has had more of an impact on the teams recent success than Alex has, and thats not being hyperbolic.

9. DawkinsINT

A legit starter to me means that it's a QB that does not make a lot of mistakes and gives you a chance to win more than losing games for you. I'll say it again, I'm not calling elite or anything like that.

10. DawkinsINT

Haha...yeah, I'm pretty much just trolling at this point. I haven't watched enough of Cassel to have a strong opinion about him either way.

11. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

You actually can't 'guarantee' anything.

12. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Wouldn't it just burn Niner fans' asses if Smith did good in Kansas City and the rest of the league figured out how to play Kaep?

13. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

You must've confused "legit" with "game manager". Again, different standards.

14. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

God, when did this forum become an extension of the Alexsexuals section from the niners board?

Seriously?

15. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I just think it's funny seeing you guys talk about him like he is the worst player in the league and that there is essentially no chance for him to succeed in Kansas City.

16. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I could be off base here, but I think Andy Reid would be a better judge of quarterback talent than anybody on this board.

Again, I could be very wrong...

17. DawkinsINT

It must be different standards. All good QBs manage the game well. I guess I don't understand what you mean by legit. You made it sound like he is awful and shouldn't be in the league. If you mean "elite" by "legit", then I completely agree.

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Okay, how much are you willing to bet that Alex gets a 104 or better, and an agreed upon ratio of TD's to turnovers constituting "minimal"...say 2:1 or better...in KC? Because I'll take the other side of that for...oh...anything.

19. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Yeah, he did sooooooooooooo well with Vick and winning all those Super Bow.....oh wait...

The 49er fans here on GIF that hate/dislike Alex Smith have hated the pick from the draft in 2005, and we've had to endure this crap for too many years, call it whining, I really don't care cause losing sucks but then I really don't have to remind you Eagles fans about losing huh?...

20. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

So you're saying there ARE better judges of talent on this message board than Andy Reid. Gotcha.