49ers Agree To Trade QB Alex Smith To Chiefs

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by Sweets, Feb 27, 2013.

1. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Agree to an extent. Depending on what Reid and Keim can do with the cap issue, free agency and the draft, Smith may, and I mean may, enjoy some of the success he had in SF.

It's going to take perfect moves to come close to what Frisco has, but with Charles apparently back to form, that'll at least take some of the pressure off of Smith having to generate a high completion rate downfield. OL and defense have all of a sudden become priority one for Reid & Co. But to think this upcoming season will put Smith and the Chiefs in the playoffs, that remains to be seen.

2. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

If Reid had it his way, he'd go offensive line and defensive line every pick. You can be sure those will get addressed.

Like Dawk said, I'm not saying the guy will be a Pro Bowler or elite. I'm saying that I don't find it hard to believe that this guy can be a quality quarterback in the NFL, especially in a WCO. And that I don't find any issue with the compensation if it means you get a good starter for a few years.

3. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I wouldn't bet a dime. Odds are he won't, and most of the reason for those odds are things out of Smith's control (poor OL, poor supporting cast with the exception of Charles, etc).

But it doesn't mean you or I have any flipping clue how next season will play out.

4. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Yep, the arguments for Alex Smith are strikingly similar here, to those coming from the fanboys... man...

5. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I told you I could be wrong. You very well could know how to judge a quarterback better than a man who has committed his entire life to running a football club.

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i feel like i need to mention a couple of things here because people keep saying there is no talent and nothing around alex and reid this upcoming season.

the chiefs o-line is not horrible by any stretch. in fact, it's actually pretty decent. and if they can talk albert into moving to guard and draft a stud LT, it will be one of the best o-lines in the game.

and, their defense is not horrible by any means. they definitely have some talent and with the right coaching/right scheme, will be just fine.

this team is literally a good qb and better coaching away from being a .500 team.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Not to mention Reid isn't afraid to sign veteran free agents...and the Chiefs have PLENTY of money to spend...

8. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

not only do they have money to spend the team had something like 6 probowlers on a 2-14 team.................that is bad coaching.

Why does everyone think that Harbaugh is the only guy that can get something out of Smith?

Under defensive minded coaches Alex was mediocre his first year under an offensive minded coach and that almost identical team goes to the championship game because of him(Catch III) He sets the franchise record for pass attempts without a completion he sets the NFL record for most completions in a game with 1 incomplete pbutt. He was part of the only offense in NFL history to throw for 300 yards in a game and run for 300 yards in a game(Smith ran for 49 yards that game). He just magically went from mediocre to very good because of Harbaugh? Or is it more likely that the talent level has always been there he just needed a coach that understood offense.

9. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

i can asure u that noone on this message board would have drafted 26 year old danny watkins. reid and co sure did hell of a job drafting the last 5 years.:icon_twisted:

10. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I could pull up numerous websites that were predicting Watkins as the first lineman in that class to become a Pro Bowler.

But once again... these guys likely have nothing on your scouting and talent evaluations.

11. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

If they want to shore up the left side then Bushrod is going to be available. He is decent in pass blocking but real good at run blocking. Just coming into his prime and playing well.

12. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

your right they dont because i would only draft sec guys:icon_cool:

13. markaz

Good move by the Chiefs. Cassell was a function of Weis and Smith a function of the team around him and a stable coaching staff. Maybe he'll get those in KC. :dunno: The only thing I didn't like about the trade was the Chiefs giving up that 2nd round pick. But somehow I think Reid will work around that.

14. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

You mean those two second round picks?

15. markaz

Just looking at next year, ie, the upcoming draft, not the conditional draft pick in '14.