Saints Sign CB Keenan Lewis To A Five-Year, $26.3M Deal

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by SRW, Mar 14, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The New Orleans Saints and free agent cornerback Keenan Lewis have agreed on a five-year contract. The deal is worth $26.3 million with $10.5 million in guarantees, including a $6 million signing bonus.

Lewis, a New Orleans native who prepped at O.P. Walker, is the first free agent from another team to sign with the Saints during this free agency period that began Tuesday.

A former third-round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Lewis spent his first three seasons in a reserve role before breaking into the starting lineup in 2012 and turning in a standout season.

"He was a top free agent target for us and I know that he is very excited to be able to come home to play football," Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis said in a news release from the team.

Although the 6-foot, 200-pound Lewis didn't have an interception last season, he ranked among the top cornerbacks in the league, breaking up an NFL-best 23 passes. Lewis had 71 tackles and a forced fumble while allowing a completion percentage of just 52.7 percent.

"Having grown up here I understand the passion that the fans have for the Saints and I'm blessed to be able to have the chance to play in front of them here in the future," Lewis said in the Saints' release. "I had a great visit with the Saints and am thankful for the time I spent with the Pittsburgh Steelers and wish them continued success."

Source: The Times Picayune

2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

:cele08::jiggy:

3. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

I've been cfreaking out the Steeler boards and they seem to be pissed he's gone

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

good player. decent price.

these CB contracts are WAY lower than they have been in the past. it seems CB's and pass rushers are not real coveted right now. i've thought CB's have been overpaid in this league for a long time. i'm a little perplexed by the pass rushers though. i still think a genuine skilled pass rusher is a valuable commodity in this league.

5. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

very good signing for the Saints

6. Buck Fenson

71 tackles. That by itself is worth the money. I listened to an interview online and he is ready to get to work. He took less money, he said, just to come here. Local guy wanting to come back home. I really think we got us a good one. He said he wants to play here till he retires. Like that.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Solid player. Saints got a good one with this signing.

8. Buck Fenson

Good. We needed a break on defense. Hope he is there for the long haul. Now draft that Texan safety and our secondary is immediately improved by leaps and bounds.

9. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Week FA clbutt. Kruger and Avril are the best on the free market. Had Michael Johnson and Anthony Spencer hit the free market the market woukd have looked much better

Sent from my HTC Vivid

10. CaptainStubing

eh, bennett didn't get paid much and he's probably the most valuable of the bunch other than elvis. freeney didn't get paid much (granted, he's old though). Dumervil was forced to take a pay cut.

the value of pass rushers has taken a hit this off-season without question.

11. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Bennett is still kindof a one year wonder. Value wise I would go Johnson, Spencer then Bennett.

I would take Bennett over Kruger and Avril

Sent from my HTC Vivid

12. CaptainStubing

well, yes, johnson and spencer were the best pass rushers that 'could' have been free agents but their teams weren't going to let them hit the market. they might have gotten some decent jack. as far as true free agent pass rushers go (ones that actually hit the market), i suppose it was a weak year, so maybe that's why i have the perception their value is going down.