Colt McCoy Says 49ers' Focus 'Different' Than Browns'

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Apr 14, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

After three rough-and-tumble seasons with the Cleveland Browns, nobody sounds happier to be heading to a winning team than quarterback Colt McCoy.

Colin Kaepernick's new backup said he could tell the difference between his old employer and his new one right off the bat.

"When I walked in the building in San Francisco, it was the same feel (as at the University of Texas)," McCoy told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Saturday. "It's a great organization, and their only focus is: We want to win, and we want to win now. That's obviously different than some of the things that I've been part of the last few years. I was really happy about that."

After setting an NCAA record with 45 career victories at Texas, McCoy played for two head coaches and an ever-churning roster in Cleveland. McCoy wasn't happy with the Browns' 14-34 record during his first three NFL seasons, and the front office wasn't impressed with his 6-15 mark under center, so it traded him to the 49ers earlier this month.

McCoy said one day after the trade that he'd "always be grateful" for his time in Cleveland, but he's clearly content to be going west, away from the wreckage.

Source: NFL.com

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Shocking...:icon_eek:

3. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Yeah, problem is he was drafted by them and had a chance to change that vibe.

4. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

takes more than one guy to change a franchise. And if you are counting on your qb to do that and not your coach then you are in trouble.

5. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Drew Brees.

6. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

You're counting on your QB to be the face of your franchise. Yes, it takes effort from everybody else, from your coach to the special teamers and the guys spending week in and week out in the inactive list.

Yes, Drew Brees is a nice example. Peyton Manning is another, going from 3-13 in his rookie year to 13-3 in his second season, with the same coach.

Fact is McCoy didn't get it done with the Browns and that's why they drafted his replacement after his 2nd season in the pros.

I'm an avid Grantland reader, and I enjoyed the Bad Quarterback League gimmick they started in 2011. Here's an excerpt I found interesting:

Same could apply for McCoy. You know what teams that have lots of confidence in their quarterback do? They don't draft a 28-year old rookie QB after your 2nd season, Colt.

7. Buck Fenson

also Coach Payton, Gregg Williams, Reggie Bush, Marcus Colston, Pierre Thomas and more.

8. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

True but all those offensive players are better because of Brees.

9. Buck Fenson

Quit confusing me with facts please.

10. GreenFish11

GreenFish11 Special Teamer

So... Drew brees > Colt McCoy ...? :confused:

11. Buck Fenson

I would have to say yes.

12. warwagon86

warwagon86 Irish Football Fans

Takes more than one guy and a back team all on the same page the browns are shocking

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

13. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i don't know the answer to this question. i would rather we compare Alex Smith and Jay Cutler.

14. GreenFish11

GreenFish11 Special Teamer

Or Vince Young vs Matt Leinhart