Agents Reportedly Advised Jets QB Geno Smith To Skip Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SRW, May 1, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

More drama continues to rise from the smoldering ashes of New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith's alliance with Select Sports Group.

Citing a source in Smith's camp, Deadspin's Barry Petchesky reported Wednesday that Smith's decision to fire his agents was rooted in the agency's failure to be proactive in bettering Smith's position when it became apparent the quarterback could fall in the 2013 NFL Draft.

According to the source, Smith wanted to play in the Senior Bowl, but was convinced by his agent to skip it. Smith was criticized for sitting out the event, which serves as an invaluable selling tool for draft prospects.

Smith also was disappointed, according to the source, when his agents failed to combat the wave of negative publicity caused by a negative scouting report written by Pro Football Weekly and finally, Smith felt betrayed when two clients of agent Jeff Nalley signed with teams that seemed to be possible NFL landing spots for Smith -- Chase Daniel with the Kansas City Chiefs and Kevin Kolb with the Buffalo Bills.

Source: NFL.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  2. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

IMO that's lame. Multiple players skip the senior bowl every year and they turn out to be first rounders anyway. You know how to counter the potential negativity? You work your butt off and put on a show on your pro day, you interview well at the Combine, among other things.

How long until Geno starts blaming his failures on the OL, on the running game, on the lack of weapons on offense, on the scheme... have we had any rookie with a more glaring "BUST" sign all over him since JaWalrus Russell?

3. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Ask Matt Gleenon how much the Senior Bowl can help. Dropped him two whole rounds.

My guess is Smith would have went on the fourth had he actually played on the game and not been able to feast on Tavon Austin and Steadman Bailey mismatchs

Sent from my HTC Vivid

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  4. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

You beat me to the punch damn it.

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

There was a very good reason why he was advised to skip it lol

Sent from my HTC Vivid

6. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

It brought him so much notoriety you changed his name from Mike Glennon to Matt Gleenon

Didnt geno throw at the combine? Thats the problem here, not skipping the senior bowl

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Or maybe it was that he was playing games, tweeting, facebook ing, texting during his meetings with potential teams.

8. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

And that the tape didn't scream "#1 pick!!!".

9. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

Ya know I dont know Geno, but I know what attitude he needs. "If you want something done right do it yourself." From a lot of what I've read though he doesnt seem super passionate about football.