Lawmakers End Session, Reject Dolphins Stadium Subsidies

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins' started by SRW, May 3, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Florida's oldest professional sports franchise—the Miami Dolphins—was dealt a crushing blow Friday after the Florida Legislature ended it session without passing any funding plan that would assist the team's quest to refurbish its stadium.

The refusal of the GOP-controlled Legislature to aid the team wasn't just a defeat for the Dolphins—it could also sack South Florida's efforts to lure another Super Bowl to the region in the next few years.

Others who lost out include the city of Orlando, which was hoping for help to lure a Major League Soccer team, as well as the Jacksonville Jaguars and Daytona International Speedway.

The professional sports teams were all backing a Florida Senate proposal that would have allowed each of them to compete for a share of state tax dollars.

But the House—led by Speaker Will Weatherford—refused to bring up the legislation.

"I think part of the complication was the fact that it wasn't just the Dolphins," Weatherford said. "You had five or six different franchises that were looking for a tax rebate, and that's serious public policy. You're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars and I think the House just never got comfortable there when the session ended."

Source: Sporting News

2. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Screw the others, Miami is the city worth a heck. Freaking idiots running the state into the ground.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i would think the economic impact from 1 super bowl would pay for the phins improvements along with all of the other teams' improvements..........

anyway, after the debacle with the Marlins, i'm sure many of the legislators are pretty gun shy ......

4. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Ross has already offered to pay half of the cost for the upgrades, as well as pay the city and the state back. Loria wasn't going to do that. The idiots running the state don't realize that doing this will create 4000-5000 jobs, not to mention the tourism for events like the super bowl and college championships are well as other main events.

5. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

hehehehehe, I'm loving this fiasco...49ers are one HUGE step closer to hosting the 2016 Super Bowl!!!! :cele08:

6. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[ame=http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000166940/Clouds-brewing-over-Sun-Life-Stadium]Clouds brewing over Miami Dolphins' Sun Life Stadium - NFL Videos[/ame]