GridironFans.com Is Looking For NFL Blog Writers For Featured Weekly Columns!

Discussion in 'Site News' started by SRW, Jun 15, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[​IMG]

GridironFans.com is looking for new writers for our NFL Writer's Block section! If you love football and love to write, we want you on our team. Your writing needs to be spelling and grammar checked, be easy to read, and be well organized. It takes time (often a lot of time) and work (often a lot of work). We take this very seriously and so should you. Don't apply unless you are serious and plan to stick around.

We also require images in columns, video if possible (embedding videos from YouTube, NFL.com or similar places would be fine), formatting to keep the column organized, (bold, italics, underlines, larger font for headers/titles/subtitles, colored font, and so on), avoiding "walls of text" by breaking up long columns with section headers, and, if possible, smaller sections to go with a main op-ed piece.

PLEASE DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO TAKE ON A WEEKLY COMMITMENT TO COMPLETING YOUR COLUMN!!

Please include a sample of the work you would be offering to GridironFans.com.

We are looking for writers to fill these featured weekly columns. The plan is to have one a day here on the site to give visitors a new stream of user generated content:

NFL's Winners & Losers
    Overview: A look at the past week's winners and losers around the NFL.

NFL Top 10
    Overview: A top 10 list of the author's choosing.

NFL Fact Or Fiction
    Overview: A three man article. The 'host' will ask a series of fact or fiction questions. The bloggers will then answer fact or fiction, then explain why.

NFL Power Rankings
    Overview: I am hoping [MENTION=548]TJ[/MENTION] and [MENTION=547]Fez[/MENTION] jump all over this, their format is great. A two-man entry where each writer gives his take on the rankings they compile.

NFL Weekend Primer
    Overview: A look at the upcoming NFL games. Big games, key storylines and the top headlines heading into the week would also be recapped.

NCAA Preview
    Overview: A look at the upcoming big NCAA games. Big games, key storylines and the top headlines heading into the week would also be recapped.

NFL Draft Insider
    Overview: A look at potential prospects for the upcoming NFL draft.​

We hope that these featured articles become staples on the site that everyone can look forward to reading.

I want to thank the members who have shown interest behind the scenes and given me a glimmer of hope that this can work on GIF. Also [MENTION=1533]86WARD[/MENTION] has agreed to spear-head the administration of this effort so with that I hand the reigns to him.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

My wife switched to second shift today, so I'll have more time to devote to the site. I think I'd like to get in on this.

3. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

I could be all about being a part of the fact or fiction team to be honest.

4. SRW

[MENTION=4302]JEMicklos[/MENTION] is all over the NCAA Insider column. He's agreed to take that one one. Looks like he'll be turning in a new column each Wednesday.

5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Don't worry, Steve... [MENTION=547]Fez[/MENTION] & TJ's Power Rankings will be back right on time for kickoff weekend...maybe sooner.

I just started a new job in a huge company, and it's been tough...it really keeps me busy. So writing the PRs is all I can do at the moment...you know that if I can step up and become a mod again, I'll tell you.

Cheers.

6. SRW

The Power Rankings you and [MENTION=547]Fez[/MENTION] put together are pure gold. It's time that became a regular feature that we show off here on the site. It's too good not to showcase.

7. SRW

Good to hear you are interested. Any featured column catch your eye?
    Sounds good. Would you be the host who asks the questions and gives us a recap or one of the authors who are answering?

8. Steve12

Top 10 or Winners and Losers. I can defer to someone else who wants one or the other.

9. SRW

I envision Winners & Losers being done every Tuesday after the week ends. It could still be done during the offseason with whatever's going on in the news, free agency, the draft, etc. The Top 10 is more open to whatever day. I am aiming to not have featured articles overlap days so they get their time in the spotlight without being bumped too soon.

10. Steve12

The only time I'll have to write is in the afternoon, so Winners & Losers wouldn't get done until Tuesday night, if I waited for MNF to write it. Idk what time you're wanting them submitted. [MENTION=1]SteveRobWhatever[/MENTION]

11. SRW

You'd also have a whole week to work on your article too. We aren't looking for people to cram through these, feel free to tinker with it during the week. We don't want rushed, we want done well. There would be no real time other than just making sure it's posted consistently on the same day each week.

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

Would we be able to give each writer their own topic tag that would essentially give members and guests the opportunity to sign up for the writers RSS feed?

13. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Yes...that's the plan 86

14. Steve12

Now that I read through again, I think I'll take the weekend primer. That way I have a solid week to for sure get it done right. That cool [MENTION=1]SteveRobWhatever[/MENTION]?

15. SRW

Works for me [MENTION=3600]Steve12[/MENTION]!

This is where we are at:

Author's Confirmed:
    NFL Weekend Primer: [MENTION=3600]Steve12[/MENTION]
    Overview: A look at the upcoming NFL games. Big games, key storylines and the top headlines heading into the week would also be recapped.

NCAA Preview: [MENTION=4302]JEMicklos[/MENTION]
    Overview: A look at the upcoming big NCAA games. Big games, key storylines and the top headlines heading into the week would also be recapped.

NFL Power Rankings: [MENTION=548]TJ[/MENTION] and [MENTION=547]Fez[/MENTION]
    Overview: A two-man entry where each writer gives his take on the rankings they compile.​

No Confirmed Author Yet:
    NFL's Winners & Losers
    Overview: A look at the past week's winners and losers around the NFL.

NFL Top 10: No Confirmed Author Yet
    Overview: A top 10 list of the author's choosing.

NFL Fact Or Fiction: [MENTION=968]RichLikeWh0a[/MENTION], Two More Writers Needed
    Overview: A three man article. The 'host' will ask a series of fact or fiction questions. The bloggers will then answer fact or fiction, then explain why.

NFL Draft Insider: No Confirmed Author Yet
    Overview: A look at potential prospects for the upcoming NFL draft.​

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  16. SRW

Each article will have it's own category in the blog section, and those categories will have RSS feeds tied to them. I will be building on the tag system as well and give bog authors and the staff more ways on how to create rss feeds for what they post.

17. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

When do you want me start? The season starts in 11 weeks, August 29th to be exact. I can cover all the preview stuff without mashing stuff together.

18. SRW

How about this week or next week? Wednesday's your night. I'll go set it up for you.

19. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

I'll get the ACC started then

20. SRW

Just a FYI to any writers, you'll now see a dropdown option when posting a new entry. Each featured article has it's own section. Simply choose your article and hit the button to post a new entry. Members can still enter their blogs as well, there is a "GenPop' section for non-featured members.