NFL Pulls Plug On Customized Face Masks

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SRW, Aug 9, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The National Football League is pulling the plug on elaborate, customized face masks that several prominent NFL defensive players had planned to wear this season.

In an email to the Associated Press, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said that the customized mask that Indianapolis Colts linebacker Robert Mathis had been wearing during training camp would not be approved for use during games.

The only exception the league makes for the use of customized face masks is for medical reasons.

In addition to Mathis, Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett had planned to wear a customized mask, which he unveiled at his team's FanFest in June. Dockett's mask had six horizontal bars and one vertical in the middle that divides a whopping 18 diagonal bars, nine on each side of the vertical bar.

Source: Associated Press

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Good. They're goobered.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

[​IMG]

I don't get what the big deal is...as long as they provide the same amount (if not more) safety as the league's standard horizontal 4 and vertical 3 guidelines...who cares? More of the NFL not letting players be individual.

I could only imagine what Goodell would have done with a guy like Deion Sanders...lol.

[​IMG]

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

With Dockett being the King of Tards.
    [​IMG]

Time to change sigpic.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  6. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

7. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I read some of these are actually useful and safe. It protection against offensive player putting their fingers through the face mask and inintentianly poking their eyes etc etc

8. markaz

Eye shields weren't nixed, just the bird cages.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think any player can wear the visor. Only players with vision problems can wear the tinted shields...I think.

10. markaz

I think you're right.

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I think you're correct about him being right.

12. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

They'll probably tell DeMarcus Ware he can't wear his next. He has 8 horizontal bars on his instead of the traditional 4.

13. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Chris Canty and Tuck got a medical clearance to wear their customized face mask.

DWare can not wear his unless he gets a doctors note

14. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker