Former NFL Player Travis Johnson Says Tony Romo Is "A Thief, A Loser"

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by ragman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I'm not saying they are better players. Obviously they aren't. But you can't be a winner if you don't win. That's as simple as logic gets.

2. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Okay, fair enough, but thats not what you're saying. Youre saying that if you don't win one, specific, single game, then you are not a winner. By that definition a quarterback could go 157-0 in his career, never lose a game he starts (but never win a SB) and he's not considered a winner. Not a SB winner doesnt mean not a winner.

If this was, say, tennis, then this might be a legitimate argument, theres one person to blame for a loss there.

3. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

In my opinion Romo just cannot close out a season to save his life, and it kind of sucks because people are almost always going to go back to when he hecked up that field goal, and he did come up just a yard short of getting into the end zone on that play. In my mind that sums up Romo right now, just coming up a little too short when it really needs to happen.

4. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

Romo's had his problems but there's a ton of blame to go around in the Cowboy organization.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Same story every week about how "bad" Romo is...

Who are the cowboys supposed to replace him with?

How many other teams in the league would Romo start over what try currently have?

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

off the top of my head, i would guess about half

7. Steve12

People ask the same question about cutler. "Who would they get to replace him?" I don't like that as an argument for how good someone is.

8. 86WARD

86WARD -

Relatively speaking, you have to ask that question. Saying the Cowboys didn't like Romo, according to Captain's answer he's at the worst 16th in the league...what would the Cowboys do? Draft a guy like Landry Jones? Sign a free agent like Matt Flynn? He's far from a terrible QB and not nearly as bad as people want to portray him to be...he's on the "better" half of the "better/worse" spectrum.

9. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

The fact remains he is a Qb for the Cowboys and thus will be criticized more harshly than some number one picks that have not played as well. For an un drafted free agent I think he has done well.

10. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I would say two-thirds.

11. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, obviously some of them would be subjective. i'm bored so here's a list of guys that potentially would beat romo out for a starting job. some of them are obvious. some of them are debateable. There are 18 names here and I only put question marks on 5 of them. So, this would put Romo somewhere around the middle i believe, but again, this is subjective. Everyone would have a different opinion.

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Colin Kaepernick
    Philip Rivers?
    Joe Flacco
    Jay Cutler?
    Josh Freeman?
    Cam Newton?
    Matthew Stafford
    Ben Roethlisber
    Andrew Luck
    Matt Ryan
    Aaron Rodgers
    RG3
    Russell Wilson
    Drew Brees
    Eli Manning
    Matt Schaub?

12. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

As simple as your assessment of what makes a winner...wins, the reality is the stats don't support simplistic review.

Some QBs get better with a myriad of things like experience, better protection (some handle less better than others as example), better complimentary players, stable scheme - no constant OC T/O, coaches that tailor schemes to their QBs strengths, etc.

Romo has been a winner in a team game tho has had critical moments where his personal resume would have risen from good to elite but fell short.

When fans start getting frustrated with a particular play(s) & blame a QB, it's ludicrous to me especially where a lot of wins are attributed to them where it was anything but them. More that they didn't have a moment where they're the tunnel vision view of a win but failed.

Romo's moments where he didn't come thru are nothing more than him not playing on an elite plateau. He's still a good QB. #s don't lie, wins that were games he took on his shoulders shouldn't be discounted.

Question is about if good isn't enough or an organization doesn't want to invest more time or fans decide they've had it, then the question is who are you going to replace him with that's an upgrade or taking the gamble on grooming a new QB.

QBs don't grow on trees & fans should be careful what they wish for...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  13. ragman

Tarkus, I agree 100% with you in your last sentence. People who want to replace Romo tend to forget the years between Aikman's retirement and when Romo took over as starter.

14. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Not all romo's fault cause the cowboys have put some crapty players around him.the last 5 years or so their talent has not really developed.miles austin,always injured it seems,barber,williams,and varous running backs just have not played like they were paid.defense has been crappy too. I Hate the cowboys with a passion,but blaming all of it on romo is pretty stupid.

15. Omen

Exactly

Last yr all people remember is the Romo's int against y'all for the playoff spot.

I remember Morris and rgIII running through our Def at will.

16. Steve12

Crapty players around him? All we hear about every year is how talented the cowboys are on paper. Then they go and disappoint everyone.

17. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

cowboys best players and offense are romo,witten,and bryant.the running game has not been much the last few seasons and the Defense was as bad as washington's was last year.do not know if it is because rex ryan could not coach or the players were not that good.jerry jones being gm and doing stupid things like moving up in the draft in round 1 for a player that would have still been there in the 3rd or 4th round just shows how far he has fallen in evaluating talent,and losing the draft choices adds up after a while.

18. ragman

The Dallas defense had a lot of injuries last year. That didn't help matters any.

19. Omen

Y'all won't be able to reason with Steve. He does not like Romo and probably never will.

20. Steve12

I don't feel like Romo can win. I haven't seen anything that would make me feel comfortable if he was my qb. The only thing that can change that would be him winning.