Official Admits Blunder On Third-Down Do-Over Call

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Sep 8, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Referee Bill Leavy confirmed after the 49ers’ 34-28 win Sunday that a third-down play was incorrectly granted to the 49ers following a sideline fracas.

The 49ers should have faced fourth-and-2 from the Packers’ 6-yard line after Colin Kaepernick’s 4-yard scramble, after which he was tackled by Clay Matthews out of bounds. Matthews drew a late-hit penalty for his actions, but that was offset by Joe Staley’s unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty.

Officials spotted the ball back at the 10-yard line and order a third-and-6 situation to be played again. Subsequently, Kaepernick found Anquan Boldin for a 10-yard touchdown pass and 14-7 lead.

Leavy said afterward: “The down should have counted. The penalties were both dead ball, and they should have offset at the spot where the runner went out of bounds. And it would have been fourth down.â€￾

Source: Mercury News

2. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[ame=http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000240880/Church-recovers-football-and-goes-all-the-way]Dallas Cowboys safety Barry Church recovers football and goes all the way - NFL Videos[/ame]

3. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

I hate when referees miss calls. That said I'm glad it happened to the Packers with the bullcrap they were pulling out there

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Yeah well they also missed ejecting Matthews from the game so heck it.

5. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Guess the ref should have double checked that one...

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

7. Badger

Badger Rookie

I have to laugh at all these Niner fans who think Clay should have been ejected? Why? Once the QB leaves the pocket, he is treated no differently than any other player who is running with the ball.
    Besides, when Clay left his feet, both he and Kaepernick were in-bounds. Im OK with an unneccesary roughness call but an ejection? Come on.

8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

You said it yourself, he left his feet - illegal. Led with his helmet - illegal. And no, Kaepernick was not was not inbounds when he launched - illegal/defenseless. I have no issue with hard, legal hits within the rules, he could have hit him legally and knocked him out for the season and I wouldnt be mad about it. Bummed to lose him, sure, but not upset with the hitter. However, that hit was freaking filthy on several levels, and he should have been ejected. When youre not good enough to win clean, I guess you have to lose dirty, though. Screwin loser.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Illegal but doesn't warrant ejections...lol

10. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

11. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

matthews threw several punches

12. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

No way at all he should have been ejected for the hit. The punches to Staley, maybe, but not the hit.