The Sopranos vs. The Wire

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Steve12, Dec 18, 2013.

?

Which should I watch first?

1. The Sopranos

42.9%
  2. The Wire

57.1%
  1. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Ok so I just had DirecTV installed and I was cfreaking out the OnDemand stuff. They have all of the Sopranos, and all of the Wire. But I only get HBO free for 3 months, and I think the HBO on demand stuff goes away when the HBO goes away(please correct me if that's wrong). So I don't know for sure that I'll be able to watch both shows before it expires.

So with that said, I'm just wondering which one you guys think I should watch first. Everyone always brings these shows up, especially when Breaking Bad was at it's height. I was thinking the Sopranos, but I heard the ending sucks massively so I don't know if I want to deal with that. The Wire I think is more of a cop show from what I hear, and I've never been much into those. But if it's as good as people say it is that shouldn't matter, right?

I know @Walnuts has thoughts on the shows. And I think maybe @DawkinsINT? I can't remember for sure who all was talking about it.

2. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

The Wire definitely.

Steve12 likes this.
  3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

The Sopranos was an excellent show, but The Wire might be the greatest of all-time. Definitely The Wire.

Steve12 likes this.
  4. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I've never watched the Wire. Think I'll don't his holiday season. Since I'll have a lot of days off.

But the Sapranos I've seen 2 maybe three times. It's an awesome freaking show.

5. Omen

Watched the first episode of the wire last night.

Series premiere sapranos was better wire was good

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I like the Wire better for sure, but it's totally personal preference, and that's not to say I didn't like the Sopranos or anything, because I did, quite a bit...just like The Wire more. Two very different styles of show. I do know at some point in the late-middle of the Sopranos run I felt like it fell off immensely and should have ended earlier, that they were just stretching it out to squeeze every last penny they could out of it, but I don't remember what that exact point was. That was a long time ago, it's been what, like 10 years now? The Wire's final season was relatively weak up against the rest of the show, but it was still very very good. I don't think I've watched the Sopranos at all since it ended, but Ive probably watched the Wire beginning to end several times in roughly that same time period, for what thats worth.

If you do decide to watch them both, which you should, holding HBO for a few months past your trial in order to do so would probably be much cheaper than going out and buying the entire Sopranos run on DVD/BluRay.

7. Omen

I watched the aspen amid is like 3 weeks. I can burn through a series pretty fast since I don't sleep muck.

8. DaBears22

I liked the Sopranos a lot but I think the Wire had better characters overall and was more interesting. My favorite season of that show was the second one.

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

Both are second fiddle to GOT but the wire gets a slight edge.

10. Steve12

I'll check if game if thrones is on there when I get home. But looks life the wire is the winner.

11. DaBears22

12. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

One of the best characters ever in any show, IMO!

13. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

He is pretty freaking awesome as chalky white on Boardwalk Empire.
    [​IMG]

Omen likes this.
  14. DaBears22

Agreed, Omar Little was a badass character. I liked McNulty and the lesbian cop too.

15. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

was'nt the wire created by the same guy who created homicide life on the streets?

16. Steve12

I watched some of the first episode and all I can think about is Steel Dragon.

Anyone get that reference?

Omen likes this.
  17. Omen

Everything that movie is one vh1 I can't help but to watch it.

Steve12 likes this.
  18. Steve12

Ok first episode down and I feel like nothing is happening. Lol. I hope it doesn't take too long getting in though. I've never really liked any cop show.

19. Omen

The wire. Yeah it was slow. That's why I liked the sopranos first episode better

20. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Oh its a slow burner but it's worth it.